Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You will make a small wood plate to attach to your jig saw. Put in a metal blade and then trim your fender. You will place the saw as shown in the picture, except the blade will of course be on the inside trimming the lip. Make sure you seal the cut edge to stop rust.

Later, Steve

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The wood plate is attached with two screws mounted on the back side.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally you trim the lip with the blade on the inside of course. It wil take about 30 seconds on each side.

Of course you do this at your own risk.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
532 Posts
would a dremel with a grinding stone be easier?? i spoke to someone a while back who used a jig saw and said it was very "nerve wrecking" i figured that using a dremel tool would be pretty easy as all u have to do is just grind away may take a lil longer but it seems it would be much safer doing it this way then with a jig saw.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The jig saw is a breeze if you make the wood template to it sets flat on the fender. The Dremel will take a lot longer (probably close to 45 minutes per side).

Later, Steve

B

·
0 Posts
I have a question about this... I cousin of mine got new wheels and tires and he has to trim his lip on the fender as well... But one mechanic told him that if he those that he is going to have to do some painting on that area. Because by cutting the metal you leave it expose and it can start getting rusted with time...
Is this true...????

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Use clear silicone to seal the area. It will seal better than paint and is not visible.

Later, Steve

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Steve,

I was told the fenders are actually 2-ply steel and by cutting them you end up with 2 pieces of metal with an open end and it would have to be welded closed. is this the case? are you just using silicon for that area?

thanks

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Rather than using the jig-sawing blade that will likely scratch the crap out of the inside of the fender as it stabs back and forth, I'd rather use a 4.5" angle grinder and grind off the lip. Jack the car up, remove the rear wheels, tape everything off in the suspension areas with newspaper and masking tape to prevent metal filings from getting in the bushings, brakes, etc., use a magic marker to mark off the area you want to grind away, then start arcing back and forth with the angle grinder. Check frequently to make sure you are not staying on an area long enough to get the metal too hot. It takes about 20 minutes per side. Then vacuum the metal filings out, clean up any burrs, etc., and paint the bare metal edge with something like Rustoleum paint (in something close to the color of your car) by spraying the paint into the cap or a small bowl and then painting it on heavily with an artist's brush.

This method works very well, and you can remove only the minimum amount of fender required to stop rubbing. Most times, you can leave some of the spot welds so that you haven't destroyed the bond between the two layers of fender metal.

Steve Hayes

·
Registered
570 Posts
I personaly have not cut my 1/4's but im sure I will have to sometime in the future. I do however own a pretty big body shop corporation in the Pittsburgh area and can tell you a few things to look out for. DO NOT cut the spot welds on the lip, that is the only bond between the 1/4 panel and the outter wheelhouse. Definatly primer, then paint the lip, and it still wouldnt hurt to add some silicone to it once the paint dries. When I do mine I am goign to try and weld it back up and use some fiberglass filler, sand it, flat white paint it w/ sealant in the paint, etc.. Im sure most of you dont have the products available that I do in the shop to do a professional job, but what Steve is telling you is a pretty good way of doing it, I would however grind down the area after you use the jig saw blade because it tends to leave a rough cut. Thats just my .02 .. but everyone out there becareful doing this mod, if you cut to far into the 1/4 panel, they are EXPENSIVE to replace.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you taper the cut you will leave most all of the spot welds except the very top one. The cut is smooth is you use the correct metal blade and the paint is perfect with no hot spots. I did cover the paint with masking tape before cutting.

Later, Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts