Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just got an A-pillar pod from Lotek, and its unpainted. I think I was half asleep when I ordered the damn thing and forgot to color it to match my interior (blue). Anybody know a good way to paint this...???? This pod will house some pretty expensive gauges by the way, which I haven't decided yet. Its between Defi and Greddy, :)

N

·
0 Posts
SupraMOB said:
GOOD LUCK :)
good tip, i'll try that when i paint my interior

but seriously, try to give some real advice, dont be a post whore

back on topic, i have seen this before a few times you can try to search, but do you know if the pod is already primered?

i'm not sure if they were primered from lotek or not

EDIT: SupraMOB i didnt meant to be a dick, but there are a lot of posts that are meaningless on the forums, and some people are getting annoyed with it and are leaving the forums

·
Registered
391 Posts
I know that they sell the paint for the interior cause my car had some parts painted when i bought it. The color code for the interior is on a little plate where the driver door closes. A good place to start would prbly be the Toyota dealership.

Andriy

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Make SURE when you put it in, it is fitting perfectly, if you dont, it will warp. mine has waves in it:rolleyes: :mad:

N

·
0 Posts
Ckanderson said:
Make SURE when you put it in, it is fitting perfectly, if you dont, it will warp. mine has waves in it:rolleyes: :mad:
dont the lotek ones fit better than the autometer guage works ones?

i thought the lotek ones were usually pretty good with fitment issues?

·
Your mom
382 Posts
Just get one from autometer. I got one for my 240sx and it fit PERFECT.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
got a lotek one, it doesn't fit right either. cut it a bit to make it better but it's still not perfect. i didn't want to fuck around, i wanted my car running.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
My dual gauge Lotek did not fit very well, but a hour later with a die grinder and test fitting it about 20 times, and it looks much better. You can't really tell it's not stock unless you know where to look. No waves, it's nice and tight.
As far as paint goes, either go to an upholstery shop and have them match it, or try your luck at interior paint from WalMart or other sources. (Paint is paint from a can, might as well spend as little as possible on the rattle can stuff.) They do make "dye" for plastic, it may or may not work better than plastic paints. (Just find one that is the right color and go with it.) Matte colors are best, they don't add glare to your sight lines. (Stay away from gloss or semi-gloss. Matte or Flat paints are much better anywhere they can reflect light into your eyes, or cause glare on your glass.
Later and good luck.

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Well, I guess I'm off to Wal-mart then...!!!!

A little off topic: I've read the previous threads about what gauges to get, and I still haven't made up my mind yet.... Any other gauges that I could get besides Defi and Greddy...???

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
I'v heard that the lotek pods were the best for our cars?? what about the autometers, they any better??? I'm gettin a pod pretty soon, would like to know what to get. thanks.

N

·
0 Posts
BoostMan03 said:
I'v heard that the lotek pods were the best for our cars?? what about the autometers, they any better??? I'm gettin a pod pretty soon, would like to know what to get. thanks.
me too

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
I had to paint my Lotek pillar about 6 months ago because I have a '91 which has the very rare "Oxblood" interior color. I just went to a local PPG paint dealer with a piece of my interior. They were able to match the color and put it in a spray can for me. A little plastic primer and then the paint on top of that... looks PERFECT and has held up for 6 months without cracking, fading or peeling. Only about $10 out of pocket too...

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I guess I can take a photo of what has happened to mine. the bottom peice came out of the area its suposed to rest, the front edge is ALL wavy (like 1 inch out) and if you look from the front of the car, you can see inside of the pillar, and see the wires...

Impressed? NO.

I think someone should make a good one, out of metal, like the stock one.

Loteck sucks, and so do my friggen autometer guages....

L

·
0 Posts
DO NOT GO TO WAL-Mart
My friend got some stuff to paint his dashboard and plastic moldings in his rx-7....the stuff is incredible, I'm gonna call him soon and find out what brand it is. He had to order it, comes from germany I think, not cheap stuff, but if you were to see his dashboard.....you can't tell it was painted, and the paint bonds with the plastic so it flexes, and doesn't flake. It also comes with a cleaner primer that is a MUST......beleive me it's worth the extra money a lil bit of waiting....

L

·
0 Posts
I found it!

FOLIA-TEC.....

that's the brand of the stuff, my local machine shop is the only one around here carrying the stuff because my friend works there and he wanted it. search around online, you may find it.\

Folia Tec USA

check it out, well well well worth it, trust me

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Just as well to buy it unpainted, since you'll have to do a ton of work on it to get it to get the POS to fit right anyway...

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Lotek is the only option for a full pillar replacement. Sometimes they fit like shit and sometimes they fit perfect, seems to be luck of the draw. The only other option for Supras that I've seen is those staple on single pods and pillars from other cars that fit even worse. You can reshape the Lotek with a heat gun or hair dryer if you have to.

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bishop92T said:
You can reshape the Lotek with a heat gun or hair dryer if you have to.
Could you please elaborate on this Bishop...???? :)

On a happy note, I'm going to get Greddy gauges from Trent, 3 gauges for under $400...!!!!

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Put the pod in place on the car, bolt it down without gauges in it. Grab your heat gun/hair dryer and heat up the plastic where you want to reshape it. Don't let it get too hot. Gently push it in the direction you want it to go.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Bishop92T said:
Sometimes they fit like shit and sometimes they fit perfect, seems to be luck of the draw.
So true. A friend of mine has a double pod, it fits perfectly. I bought a tripple pod and I had to make extensive modifications to make it fit properly. Altough, ive heard that Lotek is making a new mold for th tripple pod right now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts