Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently aquired a set of aftermarket piston rings and installed them on a motor which was being rebuilt. The rings in the package needed minimal filing so I have to suspect that they are gapped from the factory for installation into the standard diameter bore. When installing the first piston, a noticeable resistance was felt from the oil rings. I removed the piston to notice that the oil ring expander was not allowing the oil control rings to collapse to a lesser diameter than that of the piston itself. I verified that there was no expander overlap of any sort. The ends of the expander were butted together and this was causing the oil control rings to not collapse. I am now at the point to where I don't know quite what to do. I don't want to file them, as I may affect the properly intended tension on the oil control rings. My question is basically what should I do? Should the expander allow the oil control rings to be compressed flush with the piston or should they protrude? I know this can't be right to a point because I have never experienced this before and additionally the resistance going into the bore felt like it wanted to break the rings. When I did get the piston in, the drag was quite noticeably increased. What to do?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i have been told you have to properly clean the slots where the rings go with a tool, otherwise they won't sit right, and would probably cause symptoms like yours. otherwise, your rings are wrong. if you followed the procedure for installing rings in the TSRM, then only two possibilities. wrong rings, or not cleaned slots on the pistons.

good luck, and respond with the solution as i will have to do the same in a few months.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
sounds to me like you purchased aftermarket rings that do not match the pistons.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind, and size pistons do you have? Measure your pistons, and then your rings to see if they are the same size. I had a problem like that, the guy I bought my pos motor from told me my pistons were 20 over, when they were 30 over. I want to kill him!!!!-------------- Good luck Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts