Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Back to the remedy
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HATE potholes :urowned:
Hey guys, my supra is officially dead now and I'm thinking about getting the city to pay for it.
I come home on the weekends to Philadelphia from Penn State. I drive my car on on Friday, and Saturday and use half a tank of gas for each weekend.

Well this weekend I'm going to pick up my girlfriend right after I get home (8-8:30 pm friday) and I'm driving about 45 mph on a road, then bam! my car drops down like 5 inches onto what I now know is a roadwork section. I managed to brake down to about 25-30 mph then I hit the biggest sewer cover ever, then there was a huge drop right after. I have no idea how i didnt get a flat tire, anyway I continue driving, ducking and dodging potholes/sewer covers for about a mile on this road. When I get back on a normal road I hear a weird sound coming from my engine, sounded like when you let air out of a balloon gently. The car still drove fine, and it was dark outside so I picked her up and went out for the night and ignored the sound.

Saturday I checked engine, oil was over 3/4 filled, coolant was filled, the usual slight oil leak between timing belt cover and engine block got a little worse but was nowhere close to making the car undrivable. So I start car and go to get gas, the noise was a little louder and in the 1 mile drive to gas station it got twice as loud. I get to the gas station, and check engine while car filled up..looked normal. Started car, and checked it. I found where the sound was coming from there was like a whitish mist/fog coming from below the intake manifold shooting towards the ground. It was a extremely small leak so I didnt think much of it, I get halfway to my gf house and I notice the temp gauge kept spiking up to and above the red line. About 2 minutes after I got the first redline spike I noticed the check engine light came on. I then pulled over and checked error code, 22 which is water sensor fault (thank god I carry the error code page in my car haha) so I check it, traced wire, seemed fine. I let car sit for 10 minutes, then continued the journey. Worst idea, about a minute in drive spiked to red line and stayed the noise was the loudest ever, and the white smoke was coming in the car, and out of the engine. Kept driving (about 80% there) stopped at a stop sign, got even louder im getting scared..then the temp gauge came down half-way. I resume driving up this slight hill, I feel car getting a little weaker then the gauge shot up to past the red line. I pull up to the next light with white smoke everywhere, alot of cars behind me & nowhere to pull over...car cuts off. I cranked for about 10 second then it finally started. (scariest part) I drive off, then I hear another loud noise coming from my transmission below me, like a kind of rattle. Im hitting the gas all the way and going 45-50 mph max sounding like the car is going to explode. Stop at my last stop light, and the car cuts off...I get it to start barely after 20 second of cranking and white smoke everywhere, and finally get a safe spot to pull over..as soon as I stop it cuts off and didnt start again. It smoked for a good 20 minutes from the engine below the intake mani. and slightly in the car. AAA got there and towed my car home.

Now I have a dead supra, I was thinking a bhg b/c of all the white smoke and since it was coming from where the HG is. But there was no water in oil, no oil in coolant, and oil cap on valve covers looked normal. Anyway i'm 100% sure the pothole did it b/c how bad they all were and I never had that sound or problem before. The AAA guy told me he towed a eclipse that had 3 flat tires from the same area. I wanted to know if anyone knows of how I can sue/get the state to pay for the repair because its their messed up road that caused the problem. Any ideas or suggestions on who to contact (drives services, road services, dept of transportation, etc.) would be great. :hs:

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
no idea best of luck!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Maybe it's just me... but em... you're pretty stupid if you keep driving a car that's smoking. Even more if you try to start twice more if the car is making noises from hell and shutting off by itself.

However in the netherlands you can sue cities for such stuff. Heard about it before. Should be possible over there too :)

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Call your local courthouse and ask.

·
Registered
520 Posts
talk also to your city councilman. I'm pretty sure they'd rather take a small hit than have it get all over the news

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
well were there any signs stating construction ahead??? if so you aint gettin dick. you should have been "Cautious" is what they'll say then they aren't responsible.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Given they had signs out and warned of this "rough road", you won't get any assistance...But if they failed to place signs out to be seen..you may have a chance

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
very interesting. I had a similar experience, only with less problems. I was driving on a city road in my hometown about a year ago. Just cruisin' down the street, doing about 28 in a 25, when BAM! CLUNK! BOOM! and the car jumped outta no where!...

I ran over a sewer cover, the cover popped up, nailed the underside of the car, then shot out... ended up about 25 feet from where it originally laid.

I get out... see this massive sewer hole and this spinning sewer cover... i immediately call the police...

Police came, called the city dept., and verified that there was no work pending on that sewer cover or anywhere near it... i checked extensively for damage, all i got luckily was a small indent on my frame, but the officer was nice and shared my sentiment that if there was damage, i would not be paying for it... So, we moved the cover back onto the sewer man hole, and i went on my way.

thats lame though man, i would make some phone calls and see what kind of action can be taken..

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
hmm, if there were signs there warning you to be cautious or to slow down then you're pretty much assed. But if they weren't no signs or anything like that, then i say go for it. Seeing potholes everyday lets me know i live in brooklyn and i've seen people people recieve damage to their car due to potholes.

My advice, use the reciept from the towing company or pictures if you can to show damage, they should reimburse you. Good Luck!

·
Powderin my balls since07
2,175 Posts
I'm almost 100% positive if you tell the TRUTH they will not give u shit...if u say it happened tha day b4 they will b like y didn't u stop driving it bla bla bla, or it was caused by something else...either way, best of luck and keep us posted...i snapped a rim in my accord a coupla months back driving downtown...i just cursed and called it a loss, if theres a way 2 get reimbursed...i'm all over it!

·
Back to the remedy
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steady Boostin' said:
well were there any signs stating construction ahead??? if so you aint gettin dick. you should have been "Cautious" is what they'll say then they aren't responsible.
Yea this is what I was told by my dad, so i'm lucky there was none until Sunday I saw the first ones "uneven pavement". So friday and saturday there were no signs posted, the only warning you could possibly have would be the car infront of you dropping off of the earth. I had to keep driving as well when it cut off as I was on a fairly buisy street with one lane and alot of cars behind me, and nowhere to pull over. I just wanted to get to a safe spot to pull over where I know I would be able to look at the car/get twed easily. Thanks for responses so far guys and anyone that lives around the Phila. area DON'T go on Philmont Rd., especially between Bustleton Rd & Street Rd....

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
Go take a pic of said hole. You can use that to help you out. However, you will need to find out what happened to your car because of that pothole. You running in there saying my car won't start because I hit a pothole will only get you laughter. You need to find the exact damage that the pothole caused and then get a mechanic to say in writing that it in turn caused a BHG or whatever your problem is.

My buddy bent a rim on two separate occasions on the same pothole in the town next to me. They paid him both times, no questions asked. I couldn't believe it myself. Cities are easy to get reimbursement from. The state, however, is a completely different story.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you have no vibile damage then they wont pay for it. Normally when people make a claim there has to be visible damage to prove anything. period. Take pics of the undercarriage also.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sounds to me like you either

a) popped a freeze plug (hole in it)
b) somehow cut part of the line that runs to the throttle body, carrying coolant.

Either way, you shouldn't have driven ANY FURTHER with it steaming, man. You had AAA, why didn't you call them right then? :confused:

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
Well; when the cops pulled me over and took me to jail for having 2 tickets on my intermediate license when i was 17; and the DMV had accidently placed some womens ticket on my license before, the city covered all costs because it was their fault my car was towed and they paid us gas money and mileage cuz they had to pick me up and a whole bunch of other shit.

We actually made money on the situation; it is very easy to get money from the city, just make sure you go back and walk the street and take photos, specifically at the time it happened and show you couldn't have pulled over because of the high volume of cars which travel the street as well as you couldn't swerve out of the way of the hole because you were forced to drive awkwardly close to the car in front of you and didn't have enough time to react to the gaping hole.

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
It would be easyest to sue the company that was working on it because the city will just trun around and sue the company that was working on it. But make sure the city knows.

·
Just some guy
1,681 Posts
NeatOman said:
It would be easyest to sue the company that was working on it because the city will just trun around and sue the company that was working on it. But make sure the city knows.
No it would not. A lawsuit means court time. To get your money from the city just write them a letter with pictures. It's easier and faster.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts