Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i'm new here, i used to have a geo storm and was with them for a long time but i hit a tree and now i need a new car. well a friend of mine has one for sale. it's a weird story but i guess some lady owned it had this place rework the head, the head was proted and polished had a valve job, and reinstalled, but when they got the head on and essembled they closed down. I guess she payed 3000 dollars to have it done, but they didn't finish they forgot to put the timing belt and a few things back together, she was broke and her husband told her to get rid of it, and so my friend picked it up and worked on it in his dad's shop, now he has it running really good, but he has 6 other cars and his grandma and dad are making him get rid of a few, he doesn't like imports at all, so he said he would sell it to me for 800 bucks everything works, it seems like a bad ass car, it's got the 6 cylinder turbo, with some kind of weird suspension, like you push a button and it stiffens up really nice for cornering, power everything, the sound is shot but i got my system from my old car.

But now what i really wanted to ask is what are some common things that go wrong with these cars? Like does the computer funk up? i know my little geo had certain problems, but i'm not sure this is a top of the line toyota, so i don't know what to expect. How good is the gas milage??

Man i have to say this car is so cool, like the seat thing where it like cups around your back, it has the gas milage thing but he just had put a new battery and he said you have to drive it for a while before it works right, and the suspension is fricken awsome i test drove it and it takes turns like nothin, but you guys already know this stuff. I just need to barrow a few hundred from my mom, and it's mine, if my mom can find a better car for 800 bucks i'll be damn suprised!!!!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
what fucks up? EVERYTHING, ur in for a long journey:D

edit: but it sounds like a badass deal so jump on it

·
Registered
34 Posts
$800 for an '88 is a great deal, you won't find another one for that price. ;) If the TEMS work you are in luck most Supras of that age need the shocks replaced. Head problems are a big deal for the MKIII's, plus all the electrical items wiring nightmares will present themselves without warning. All in all, for us Supra lovers it's worth all the trouble. I had and '87 and now I have an '89 turbo. Mine is at the shop for a BHG also. :(

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i test drove it tonight and the TEMS thing works great, i took a fat turn and pushed it in the middle and i could tottaly tell the difference!!! it's such a sweet car!

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Lakaiguy85 said:
yeah i test drove it tonight and the TEMS thing works great, i took a fat turn and pushed it in the middle and i could tottaly tell the difference!!! it's such a sweet car!
STOP

Hey you're in Redding. If you can wait till next friday night, I can look the car over with you. But basically if you need to borrow money to buy the car for $800 walk away cause it'll probably need a bunch of things over the next year and that'll really drain your money..

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah i can't his dad said if he can sell it by thursday they are putten it in the paper and i know it won't last! I'm pretty sure it's good, i know it's way better than my old car.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
^^^^ this lucky SOB found one with a supermonitor too. In my hometown. Goddammit it took me like 9 months to find my car and I was looking just for supras ;)

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
^^^^ this lucky SOB found one with a supermonitor too. In my hometown. Goddammit it took me like 9 months to find my car and I was looking just for supras ;)
Heh, It seems to work out that way. I wasnt even planning on buying a Supra, but someone that my brothers friend knew was selling it. And there you go. :)

You got a great deal, I paid 800 for my 89 NA with a BHG (but PERFECT paint/body/interior). They are really fun cars, but they do need lots of TLC. These are 12+ year old turbo sports cars, so be prepared to do regular mantience stuff on them. If you cant work on cars, or dont have a hookup on someone who can, you might want to rethink getting the Supra.

Good Luck!:D

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i can do it, i have an auto class at school so i do stuff like that everyday!!

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Lakaiguy85 said:
yeah i can do it, i have an auto class at school so i do stuff like that everyday!!
Its good to hear people are willing to learn. And dont worry, the Supra is pretty mechanic friendly in terms of how easy it is work on it. Well...cept the starter. Damn starters.;)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah it's an awsome car. i can't wait to make this a bad ass car!!

3,796 Posts
Dont worry about it breaking down and shit....if you maintain it properly and retorque the head bolts while the gasket is fresh you will have very few problems.

Enjoy and start moddin :D

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
LUCKY SOB, I paid like 2300 for my POS!! But I L-O-V-E IT!!

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
paid 1300$ for mine, drove it once, and been working on it ever since, now that i wrecked my jeep, and finals are almost over ill be spending every damn night w/ my car, and ill be neglecting my GF, oh well :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts