Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Tearing up Sydney streets
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I am hoping those of you who own (or have owned) black cars (specifically a Supra) could help me out.

Basically, my MKIV is stock white (040), and I am going to get a respray. I have yet to make a final choice of the colour, but it most likely be one of the following:
1.) Same colour respray (040), or slightly creamy white like the new Honda Accord Euros or Integra type S (Integra and Accord ) or the new Audi A4's.

2.) Factory black (or some other very dark black) - so that I can get it mirror-like.

3.) Custom colour - maybe a nice blue like RSP or a custom blue or a unique yet stylish colour.

Anyways, my question is this: Considering that I only drive the Supra on weekends, I keep it garaged AND covered the entire time it's not being driven, and that I never drive it in the rain (so it is basically always clean), how much of a pain in the ass is it to keep a black car looking beautiful and mirror-like?

I know a lot of people say black cars are a bitch to keep clean and 30 minutes after you wash them you can see the dust on them and they look dirty. Is this the case, literally? How realistic is this? Are they really that bad?

As previously mentioned, my current car is white and I must admit I can not wash it for a month and it still looks just washed because I always keep it covered, never drive it in the rain, dust it off each time I take it out and wash it as soon as it gets dirty.

Some will say it comes down to how much time and effort you put into maintaining the car, and I can say with confidence that I take pride in the state I keep my car in, but I do need to know how much work it could be if the car goes black.

Anyways, I would appreciate any advice or experience with this!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
its only a bitch to keep it maintained if you let it be... that may not make sense to you but what im trying to say is, id simply wash it on a weekly basis, give it a good meguires gold hand wax once a month... and like you, i also drove it rarely. and it always looked like this.

and to clarify, that is original paint from back in 94, it was damn near flawless :naughty:

IMO, black is the sexiest color if you're willing to put in a couple hours on a sunday once a month to keep it looking its best.

i hope that is of some help :)

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
Black is tough here in NM, lots of dust....but when it's clean :yum:
IMO if you're going to spray it spray it whatever color you want as long as the car doesn't look like a creamsickle when youre done...(white engine bay, orange exterior) you'll be fine.

·
BLACKOUT
1,864 Posts
if you keep it like you say you do its fine if you really want black ....it is a pain in the ass though .....it shows everything ....durring allergy season , when i wash it you can see the pollen sticking to it right after you dry it ....god forbid you get a dent or a ding , it spreads the light along the whole panel .....unless your a profesional , swirl marks are inevitable ....not to say they cant be hidden with a good polish/wax .....but after all that , its my favorite color .....i would never go black for an everyday car

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
agreed on the maintenance side with the above posts but remember

once you go black you won't go back ;) .... it's the sexiest color there is :)

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
Black is the hardest color to keep clean, but i love the way it looks and wouldnt give it up for the world. even though i wash her like every week. But i try to driver her like a few times a week. Heres some pixs of my beast.

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
black will show flaws, and being that yours is white , you probably have them and don't notice, but the black will show them and body shops hate white converted to black vehicles, i know i'm one! but color changes are nice makes ti feel like a different car, mine was ren red and made it a top secret gold color!

·
Registered
382 Posts
All the cars I've owned have been black:

74 SD 455 Trans Am
86 IROC-Z (don't laugh)
86 Buick GN
87 Buick GN
90 300ZX -TT
93.5 Supra TT
94 Supra TT
95 Lexus GS300
99 Lexus GS400
03 Lexus GX470
03 Infiniti FX-35

wouldn't roll ant other way!!

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
SYONARA said:
All the cars I've owned have been black:

74 SD 455 Trans Am
86 IROC-Z (don't laugh)
86 Buick GN
87 Buick GN
90 300ZX -TT
93.5 Supra TT
94 Supra TT
95 Lexus GS300
99 Lexus GS400
03 Lexus GX470
03 Infiniti FX-35

wouldn't roll ant other way!!

why don't laugh??? i have one in the garage!!
its modded, and crazy straight line fast, but wouldn't recommend cornering it like the supra!!!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well,

I believe I wash my car maybe once every 3 months. I just wipe down my car with a couple of micro fibre towels once a week. 1 that I rinse frequently in my sink to remove the dust and 1 dry one to do a final wipe down. She always stays shiny! My car is always garaged and also never sees the rain. Also all the cars I currently own are black. My 94 Supra, my 99 maxima, my 00 Lincoln LS and also my 05 Lexus RX330. Black just has that look when it's clean!

·
Super Moderator
10,477 Posts
If you are not already ANAL about your car (s), you will not be with a black car, especially after the novelty of the color change wears off. It's a full-time job and then some if you always want your car looking the part. White hides a lot of stuff that you will not be able to hide with a black car.

I re-sprayed my car when I installed my Do-Luck body kit (removed all glass, mouldings, motor, etc.) after 10-years of ownership. When I first met the owner of the body shop, he walked right past my then 10-year old car, thinking I must have been referring to another car.

I have to wash my car at least once a week whether or not I drive it because I do not cover it at all (I do not like the idea of dust and grit potentially getting between the cover and the car's surface). Hope this helps.

Ken.

·
Is it stick? Is it turbo?
729 Posts
Like mentioned above, black is a really nice color if you keep it clean and shiny. I know mines is a pain in the ass to keep clean. Now that we have a new car in the garage, mines has been sleeping in the drive way. It is my DD and I try my best to clean her up at least once a week, but with 2 jobs, its not easy. If you take the time to touch up every corner of it, and take it down the street, I'd guarantee you that you'll turn heads even more. Black is great, but is a bitch to keep clean. Best wishes in making your decision.

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
JamesN1830 said:
If you do a good wax job and maintain it, then a good dust shammy gets most of the dust off quickly.
that is true but its also right back on it when done unless the wind isn't blowing
black does look nice, but harder than other colors and its to common for me personally, alot of black supras on here, as well as other colors, i like to have something thats not so common, my 2 cents

·
Top Secret T78
1,203 Posts
black is the way to go!!!!!

I wash mine 1 time a week, if the cats dont get on it, the dust does

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
It's a huge pain in the ass. I absolutely love my car more than anything and that's the only reason I put up with it haha. Black is the best looking color in most cases IMO but unless you're prepared for the upkeep, I probably wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
this is why i love black

if you dont drive it everyday go for black. just clean it right and dont create spider webs in it using shitty products. the dust thing is true though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts