Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
allow me to explain my situation and some questions.

about 2 years ago I had a 94 Lexus GS300 with the 2jz-ge engine. I was hit by a drunk driver and my car was a total loss. I purchased the car back from the insurance company and i had the engine/tranny pulled along with the wiring harness. I then went on to part the car out and made back the money I purchased it back for and some.

Since the last few months I have been looking for a car to implant this engine into. I am planning on building the 2jz-ge into a na-t conversion.. single turbo. I would go twin turbo if it will fit..

I think I have found the car. It is a 1988 supra turbo 5spd. The car is bone stock right now.

My questions to you guys is this... I have the 2jz-ge and it only has like 60k miles on it. and it will be built.... BUT... I have this 88 supra with a engine that runs perfectly fine... considering $$ per horsepower which engine has more potential to be built up? I am looking for 500-600 wheel HP..

also the trans that came out of my Lex is an auto... I really want a 5-6 spd car.. will the tranny in the 88 bolt up to the 2jz?

sorry for the long post guys..

Thank in advance and I plan on using these boards alot. I have learned a good bit from the little that I have browsed already.

·
4,627 Posts
you'll need the 1JZ bell-housing to bolt up to the R154 (Supra Turbo Trans)

Stock for stock the 7M-GTE has more power. I'd sell the 2JZ and go into modding the 7M. But thats me. The 7M has a better ignition system, slightly advanced computer system. With little machine work and minor aftermarket parts such as a Metal Head Gasket and Accuslump system, it'll be pretty realiable. It just depends on what you want to do, and always have money incase if something breaks like all car projects.

500HP isn't too hard, the bottom end is pretty strong. the head just needs some porting.

Turbo, and Fuel is what you need to look into. FWI, stay away from Venom Injectors. Cheap but POS. You Can go with EBay Manifolds and T4 based turbos. Or the Boss turbo from Suprasport.com i hear those fair well.

I also Suggest you look into the MAFT-Pro, for Tuning your car. Theres also small and big other things i'm missing but you'll learn them along the way. Well Good Luck!!

-Sumeet

·
Registered
81 Posts
a perfectly fine 7m isn't necessarly a perfect 500-600hp 7m. The thing about the 7m is that they are very very picky motors when it comes to maintaince.

basicly when it comes down to it...to achieve that power level on ethier motor is going to require a rebuild. the 7m will need a modified bottom end (rod bearings come to mind) while the 2j will surely need new pistons (to lower compression). and that would be the tip oif the ice berg.

To me the 2jz is for more reliable for those numbers. however that said i am basing this off of the face that the 2jz-ge is somewhat similar to the 2jz-gte. i don't know this for sure.

Also you will ethier need to buy new engine mounts to match the 89+ engine mounts or buy a 89+ crossmember. i believe BIC makes a set of motor mounts that are good and match the mounts for the 89+ chassis.

There is no point on going into twin turbo solely because the stock 2jz turbos will not fit into the a70 chassis. the rear turbo charge pipe gets in the way. you would have to bang in your fire wall.

that said i think Zum is right. i would just do up the 7m simply because it is already turbochagred and that will save alot of headaches.

other options (if budget isn't a big concren) would be to sell both engines and invest in a 1jz-gte or a 2jz-gte. both can be had for under 3k easily. the 1jz will be easier to get in. the hardest part about it is extending the wiring harness. the 2jz however will require a ton more custom work but will be easier to attain your power goal.

that said i think you would be at home with a 1jz. they are very capable motors. and will make that supra fly. its said you can touch 12's with nothing more than bolt ons and a set of cams.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have looked into the Gte engines and considering my budget I would be better off putting the money that I would spend on one of the GTE engines into either the 2jz-ge or the 7m-gte.... Keep the replies coming i'm learning alot.

Thanks to those of you who have responded already.

ps: any more info on the transmission side of things?

·
4,627 Posts
I have looked into the Gte engines and considering my budget I would be better off putting the money that I would spend on one of the GTE engines into either the 2jz-ge or the 7m-gte.... Keep the replies coming i'm learning alot.

Thanks to those of you who have responded already.

ps: any more info on the transmission side of things?
The R154 is very robust and with a 1JZ flywheel and 1JZ Bellhousing purchased from a toyota dealer from these forums will work with the 2JZ GE. The clutch would be the same, between the 1JZ and 7M flywheels. I think this is what you're trying to get at?

Keep good oil in the R154 and it'll be fine. Theres some thrust washer problems i hear but someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
build in the sence of all the bolt on's needed to make it a turbo na-t conversion and cams. from what a few people tell me the block and bottam end of these engines hold a lot of power.... besides the head gasket thinkness any one know the differance between the 2jz-ge and gte? besides the obvious forced induction? Oh wait I think someone told me about the ignition being in a differant place is that why certain manifolds fit better on the gte??? I could be wrong here but i think thats what someone told me.

I plan on keeping the power steering on the 2zjge I WOULD LOVE to keep the a/c would it fit or am i going to have to sacrifice the a/c?

thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts