Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Stock Twins King
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the deal. About a year ago, I bought a "Fields Sequential Controller" from someone in Australia. It was designed to "control" the transision between #1 and #2. The stated ranges were from 1)"full" spool at 2800, 2) OEM at 3800, and 3) "late" at 5500rpm.

The connections that are required for installation is kinda unique. Allthough the one for the BCC may not be needed as I allready have a BCC installed. It also has connections to use as a "Hi"/ "Lo" Boost settings. Again, may not be required since I have a boost controller. Some of my expert friends say that there is a reason why they have all those connections, to use these inputs for calculations to compute for the sequential control.

So based on the following connections it requires, can this unit do what it says it can do?

1) VSV #1 "IACV"
2) VSV #2 "EGVC"
3) VSV #4 "Waste Gate Valve"
4) TPS
5) Throttle "Shield"
6) Power
7) Ground

So, who can "think" this one thru and see "how" this unit can do what it says it can do? I would think it "may" do some to a point, but if it did all of this well, we would have seen a lot more of these units around. Besides, who wouldnt want full 18+PSI at 2800RPM??

·
Registered
408 Posts
It will certainly make the transition from single turbo to twin turbo operation at the specified rpm. What it won't do is give you any more boost than is available running TTC. In TTC I don't see full boost until about 3400 rpm or so in a higher gear. It appears from the connections listed that it will also provide some type of boost-cut capability and limited ability to control boost. Unless the wastgate is plumbed differently I don't think you will get anything over stock boost levels. I know that if the wastgate VSV electrical connection is disconnected (with everything else in the stock configuration), it keeps boost at about 8.5 PSI. I think it bleeds off some of the signal going to the wategate actuator to allow boost to come up higher (about 11 PSI in a stock config.).

·
Stock Twins King
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,
You are right on its boost cut ability.

There's not much control of the transition point. The only one of any interest is 2800 which may be too low.

If you set it at 2800 and can get it to work I'm not sure there will be enough exhaust energy to spool both turbos at 2800.

A friend suggested this.

Something to try which should emulate this device ia to go out and drive your car. Floor it and when you get to ~2700rpm throw the ETTC switch ( I have installed). This will open the VSV's manually which should simulate what the Fields will do. Watch closely what happens to boost.

The whole point or value of this unit is to have higher boost at lower RPM.s But then again, that's what everyone wants!

Stu

1 - 3 of 3 Posts