Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a rhd supra hardtop. Noticed my hair grazes top of the headliner. Would ideally like to sit lower but i like the oem seats. Are there any sliders or brackets that achieve this with oem seats?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I dunno about how to do it with OEM Seats (I don't think there's any other way; correct me if I'm wrong)

If you get Bride rails and have Recaro like the one in the Evos or Euro Accords - I feel it is the best for comfort and low-ness, and bolsters you just enough. I'm 6 ft. And fat. I LOVE driving in the Supra and my other car is a high riding GLS SUV.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
Or maybe you could take your OEM Seats to the upholstery shop and skim some "cushion" off the bottom, but I don't imagine that would comfy at all. Just a thought. ,,,

·
Administrator
8,769 Posts
Not really, look at new seats. Theres no easy way to accomplish this unless you swap OEM manual seats and adapt them to aftermarket brackets.

Matt

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dunno about how to do it with OEM Seats (I don't think there's any other way; correct me if I'm wrong)

If you get Bride rails and have Recaro like the one in the Evos or Euro Accords - I feel it is the best for comfort and low-ness, and bolsters you just enough. I'm 6 ft. And fat. I LOVE driving in the Supra and my other car is a high riding GLS SUV.

Yeah its looking like it'll have to be an aftermarket seat if i want something lower

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really, look at new seats. Theres no easy way to accomplish this unless you swap OEM manual seats and adapt them to aftermarket brackets.

Matt
Gotcha. Is it a big deal that my current OEM seats are powered?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Recaro like the one in the Evos or Euro Accords
Those are the SP-J. I would not recommend seats for a street car that have hard plastic or metal surrounds for the shoulder harness pass throughs. They are terrible if you ever recline. Think waiting on something in the parking lot, or a passenger on a road trip. Your head on that hard material is very uncomfortable. This includes the SR-2/3/7 and a few others.
I am using SR-6 and RS-G in most of my cars, very comfortable depending on your waist. They really hug you with a lot of bolster. If you want leathers, SP-JC is a nice seat.
For the rails, I'd recommend Bride. They make rails that facilitate a lot of different seats. If you don't see the seat you want specifically listed, you can cross ref the seat with others of similar design from Recaro and if Recaro sells the same rails for both seats, then get the corresponding one from Bride.
Type FO/RO/FX/MO rails are made for the JZA80. You can buy them for around $150-200 new on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Or maybe you could take your OEM Seats to the upholstery shop and skim some "cushion" off the bottom, but I don't imagine that would comfy at all. Just a thought.
This is what the Miata folks do, they call it a "foamectomy" and uh... it's amusing how tall of a person you can fit into those little cars.

I'm installing some Sparco Sprints into mine, because their stock seats are garbage for autocross use. The Sprints are pretty comfy for a fixed back, but are a little narrow in the shoulder.

If possible, I'd recommend finding a place near you that stocks this sort of thing, and work with them to find a seat that "fits" you well. I've sat in a handful of Bride seats and there are some that fit me great, others less so. They all LOOK like they'd work well enough though... so, if possible, try before you buy.

As far as your seat being powered, not an issue, you can simply unplug the connector on the car side, the connector on the seat side will remain with your stock seat. =)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is what the Miata folks do, they call it a "foamectomy" and uh... it's amusing how tall of a person you can fit into those little cars.

I'm installing some Sparco Sprints into mine, because their stock seats are garbage for autocross use. The Sprints are pretty comfy for a fixed back, but are a little narrow in the shoulder.

If possible, I'd recommend finding a place near you that stocks this sort of thing, and work with them to find a seat that "fits" you well. I've sat in a handful of Bride seats and there are some that fit me great, others less so. They all LOOK like they'd work well enough though... so, if possible, try before you buy.

As far as your seat being powered, not an issue, you can simply unplug the connector on the car side, the connector on the seat side will remain with your stock seat. =)
I'm thinking about a "foamectomy" or something along those lines. When it gets a little cooler out, I want to remove the seat (slider, brackets and all) and inspect to see if it can be modified in any way to lower it.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Rinzler, if / when you do figure something out, be sure to post a thread! I'm sure you're not the only one who would enjoy a bit more headroom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts