Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a little long but I think this kill is worth a read!

I met up with the wife at Outback for dinner after work this evening to have myself a juicy steak. After dinner, the wifey wanted me to go with her to get some groceries but my stomach was just too full and I just wanted to get home and relax. So we go our own ways, she to the store, me towards home. Well not long after I leave outback, I am at a stoplight when I hear a nice growl coming from someone reving their engine. At first I think nothing of it, because it didn't sound as if the car that was reving his motor was right next to me. Well after a couple of seconds, I noticed the reving wasn't stopping and whoever it was that was reving was actually getting more aggressive on the revs. So now I am looking all over the place to see where this was coming from. Low and behold, two lanes to the right of me, was this menacing black looking Trans Am with two young guys with the biggest shit looking, I am going to kick your ass looking grin on their faces! They are egging me, taughnting me to give them a race. Well to not let these young men down, I cheerfully gave them a nod to signal them that I was game. :agreed: One problem though, there is a car in the lane next to me that separated us. So what I did, I politely rolled down my window and asked the gentleman in the next lane if he could be nice enough to let me pass so that I can give these guys the race that they were hungry for. Since I just left outback, I knew my tires were cold, so I lit them up in second gear just before we headed out to the freeway. He is ahead of me on the onramp and jumps on it, I immediately get on it but don't get traction till my shift to 3rd which put me a couple of cars ahead once we got onto the freeway. I didn't think it was a proper kill yet, so I slow down and we get even and now I am in 3rd and he gives the standard 3 honks and were off drill. I immediately pull on them, since I am in the proper rpm's, I put bus lengths on them by the middle of my 4th gear before I shut it down. We pull over and that's when I find out the owner of the Trans Am did a motor swap and had full bolt ons on his ZO6/LS6 motor. Also these guys were in the military and that this was there last week in town and they had just gone to a strip joint and they were hungry to find something to race. They also said that all week they have been trying to race anything that they could find and that everyone they had run into, they killed with their Trans Am. . . . except for me. :) The passengers last words were "You owned are ass and made my buddys Trans Am look as slow as a lowly civic". Well they took pics of my car and I wished them best on their new assignments! All in all, it was a great evening! I had my juicy steak and a nice Kill for dessert!

·
Registered
208 Posts
awesome story. I like how you "politely rolled down my window and asked the gentleman in the next lane if he could be nice enough to let me pass so that I can give these guys the race that they were hungry for".

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
standard_1664 said:
awesome story. I like how you "politely rolled down my window and asked the gentleman in the next lane if he could be nice enough to let me pass so that I can give these guys the race that they were hungry for".
Thanks.

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,920 Posts
Sweet kill and very well written!! Mods list??

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boostrush said:
Sweet kill and very well written!! Mods list??
Thanks. As of now, here are my mods:

built engine
Fuel system w/ 720cc injectors
Slightly polished and ported head w/ titanium valve springs and retainers
Greddy T88 turbo kit
3 inch exhaust turbo back
AEM
HKS 272 cam in/exh
Greddy 3 row intercooler

The run with the trans am was on pump gas @ 16lbs.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
standard_1664 said:
I know, that cracked me up. That really worked, huh? If I did that here in Phx I'd probably just get the finger. :takethat:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suprasanity said:
I know, that cracked me up. That really worked, huh? If I did that here in Phx I'd probably just get the finger. :takethat:
Yeah it actually did. The guy had no idea what was going on at first, I just wanted to assure him that I was not trying to cut him off but just needed to get over to the Trans Am. Once I told him and pointed to the Trans Am, he completely understood and gave me my way.

·
Panty Dropper
360 Posts
Nice kill, wonder why he swapped a motor in his T/A that makes like 30 hp more than his stock motor... Instead of just building his own LS1 motor, which is not very different than the LS6.

·
Registered
81 Posts
lsina7 said:
Nice kill, wonder why he swapped a motor in his T/A that makes like 30 hp more than his stock motor... Instead of just building his own LS1 motor, which is not very different than the LS6.
Correct me if I'm wrong I thought the LS6 has a 405 crank HP rating? The LS1 has 325 (F-body) 345 (C5 Vette). Personally I'd just build an LS1 instead of messing around with a swap.

Good kill by the way.

·
Homer Simpson
1,537 Posts
PipeLayaz said:
Correct me if I'm wrong I thought the LS6 has a 405 crank HP rating? The LS1 has 325 (F-body) 345 (C5 Vette). Personally I'd just build an LS1 instead of messing around with a swap.

Good kill by the way.

C5' and FBodies M6's Dyno around 330rwhp stock ZO6's Dyno around 348rwhp Stock...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I gather. With his mods on his ZO6 motor he claimed 420rwhp. He said that while he was in the area, he had gone to A&A Corvettes and dynoed on their dynojet and supposedly that was what his car hit on their dyno.

·
Panty Dropper
360 Posts
PipeLayaz said:

Good kill by the way.

You are right, but the Corvette motors and F-body motors are no different. They all tend to dyno around 315 to 320 stock. Z06's dyno 345 to 350. So not a big difference. With bolt-ons they turn into the same motor pretty much.

·
Panty Dropper
360 Posts
SupraSonic said:
From what I gather. With his mods on his ZO6 motor he claimed 420rwhp. He said that while he was in the area, he had gone to A&A Corvettes and dynoed on their dynojet and supposedly that was what his car hit on their dyno.

Sounds right for bolt-ons and a cam, maybe heads. Thats what I am shooting for with the same mods, small cam, and only ported heads. He might have just been bullshitting about swapping the motor, probably just has an LS6 intake and some other LS6 specific parts. Like my motor has a bunch of LS6 parts on it. It just wouldn't mak since to swap the motors. Still, nice kill!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lsina7 said:
Sounds right for bolt-ons and a cam, maybe heads. Thats what I am shooting for with the same mods, small cam, and only ported heads. He might have just been bullshitting about swapping the motor, probably just has an LS6 intake and some other LS6 specific parts. Like my motor has a bunch of LS6 parts on it. It just wouldn't mak since to swap the motors. Still, nice kill!
I don't know if he was giving me BS (I really don't know what to look for under his hood), but he was really anxious to show me his motor and how clean of an install that was done. The main thing that stuck out to me was his huge air filter. It was more like an oval conical than the typical circle conical K&N's that I am accustomed to seeing.

·
Panty Dropper
360 Posts
SupraSonic said:
I don't know if he was giving me BS (I really don't know what to look for under his hood), but he was really anxious to show me his motor and how clean of an install that was done. The main thing that stuck out to me was his huge air filter. It was more like an oval conical than the typical circle conical K&N's that I am accustomed to seeing.

Its just wierd, because they are so close to the same motor. You couldn't tell the difference if you looked... Except for motor covers I guess.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts