Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I finally got the paperwork for my '90 Supra sorted, and am now looking into getting it back in running shape.

Given the high cost of parts for a manual conversion in my area, I'm currently not going to convert the car until I can get a donor car or a good deal on parts.

I'm looking into making the most of my automatic for the time being. I'll be getting an uprated transmission cooler, but I've seen some people refer to a "line pressure mod" to make the A340e shift better when increasing power.

I couldn't find what this entailed with 5 minutes of searching the forums, so I was wondering if anyone could provide me any pointers?

·
90T
594 Posts
The a340E uses a cable on the throttle to adjust line pressure. You can tighten that up with the adjusting nuts to increase the line pressure at part throttle. But it won't help you much. You still will have the long drawn out 1-2 shift at full throttle that heats up the clutch packs and kills the tranny. I recommend at the bare minimum buying a valve body kit to firm up the shifts properly. Above 400hp you are going to want better clutches (Raybestos blue) more disks, and some strengthened parts like the sprag clutch. Read all about it here.

transgo shift kit

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Have you gone through these procedures? How much would you guess it would cost to fix up an A340e to be "nice" and reliable around the 400-500bhp mark?

I don't want to be putting to much work and money into the automatic, as at that point I might be better off saving up for a manual swap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The transgo kit is cheap, but it takes some work to install it.
A lot of car parts that are cheap in the US, are hard and expensive to get elsewhere. Where I live, import taxes and shipping would roughly double the price.

That said, I looked up pricing for the TransGo kit including shipping and taxes, and it's not too bad.

Would you recommend going for the 340-HD2 kit or just the base package? The ability to hold gears when in manual mode would be nice, since my local dyno doesn't do automatics unless they can hold gears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that only holds 1st gear but I am not 100% sure. If that is useful to you then get that one.
What makes the transmission not hold the gear? Is that a decision from the transmission controller / ECM or is this a physical result from line pressure? Would the transmission hold gears if I overruled the ECM signal to the transmission solenoids with a manual override somehow? Or would that cause damage to the transmission somehow?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts