Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HPF/MVP listed this AAP shrowd with 2 Zirgos as the ultimate in electric fan cooling. Two things I noticed. My kit came with straight-finned fans, no named btw (I can't tell if their Zirgo or anything else). 12" fans. Also, they were mounted on the inside of the shroud. I don't see how the shroud can be used for flow when the fan literally sits right on the radiator.

Anyway, 85degF today, cruising and some stop and go, temps hit 200degF. I had also installed thermal insulating foam to seal the shroud to the radiator. Reinstall the stock clutch fan, and boom - 180deg stable (this is with a freshly flushed and filled cooling system and new TRD Tstat).

I had read how the stock fan is superior, but HPF/MVP claimed on their websites that these fans were the ultimate. Heck, I though each fan flew 3200cfm! Both fans together flow a rated 3200cfm. I would have though they would make this AAP kit with 16" bent-fin Zirgos at least.

I may try and mount these fans on the outside of the shroud, using the shroud for what its meant for. I may also look into purchasing larger fans and cutting this shroud larger.

I am not happy with this product at all, wish I could complain to AAP for an improvement or something else than a fan kit I may just plop in my window to cool my room...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
There were many with results similar to your own. I ended up using two 14 inch zirgo curved blade fans with out a shroud. I created a thread and posted pictures. They barely fit. You will not be able to get more fan on the radiator. I haven't driven the car with this setup yet, but there was another member that did something similar, and I haven't heard anything negative yet.

I am a little surprised they couldn't keep you cool in stop and go traffic. I've never been a fan of their shroud, but if it was going to help I would think it would be at low speed.
Daniel

Daniel

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wish there was a good solution to removing the stock clutch fan so I can get rid of the fan shroud. But for now its probably the best solution for daily driven apps and any commutes in traffic.

Suprawood, once you get your car going please do let us know how those 14"ers work out for you. :)

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
SupraWood said:
There were many with results similar to your own. I ended up using two 14 inch zirgo curved blade fans with out a shroud. I created a thread and posted pictures. They barely fit. You will not be able to get more fan on the radiator. I haven't driven the car with this setup yet, but there was another member that did something similar, and I haven't heard anything negative yet.

Daniel

I did the dual 14" Zirgo S fans...mercury hit 92 a couple of weeks ago and I was boostin with no problems. Gauge never moved past where it normally sits...I had Flex-a-craps before.

Mark

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suprawood,

I'll try some 14s. Yet another humble follower :) Order them straight from zirgo?

·
Yes, brothers own Supras
1,910 Posts
Sound Performance said:
I always wonder why anyone with a street car would remove the stock fan?? It's not like you lose any HP with it....
Free up more room in the eingine bay for most. The shroud is a pain to work around sometimes. Still have mine though. I drive my car WAY too much for electric fans. Tried it with the Fals and they sucked. Have to keep my out on these though, they seem to work pretty good.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Sound Performance said:
I always wonder why anyone with a street car would remove the stock fan?? It's not like you lose any HP with it....
And I always wonder why people would pay for billet radiator holders. The stock fan is a pain in the ass and gets in the way of my bov's. There has also been at least one guy that had the stock fan blades fly appart, heavily denting his hood. Those are my reasons. :)

Daniel

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I never understood the fascination with paying $300 for aftermarket fans that have been proven time after time as grossly inferior to the stock fans. And if the stock fan clutch/blades is/are really an obstruction to work around, it takes all of about 2 minutes to temporarily take it off. And aesthetics can't be a reason because the AAP fan shroud looks like a couple of pie tins, and the Zirgo fans pictured above are a ziptie hack (no offense).

Bottomline, the stock fan/shroud is extremely well-designed for its application, efficient, reliable, and quiet.......if it ain't broke.......

·
Boost Junkie
12,694 Posts
I love the look of the electrics, but have to agree that when the temps go up, the electrics don't work as well. I am having problems with my AAP fans as well now when I do a highway pull-40 to 120mph. It has been in the 90s here lately. The extra heat is causing my EGT(s) to climb as well as the ecu is retarding timing due to the hotter coolant temps. Obviously it is the shroud of the fans causing the problem at speed. I may also replace the smaller fans with larger or just put the stock fan/shroud back on. I know it doesn't look as good, but I had no overheating issues with it at all.

Steve K.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think I'm going to give these Zirgo 14"ers a try. Seeing cowboys' setup in real life and knowing the traffic characteristics coupled with cowboys regular driving of his car its enough reason for me to at least give it a shot.

·
Inline for the win
4,770 Posts
Stock Fan FTW.

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
crossways said:
I never understood the fascination with paying $300 for aftermarket fans that have been proven time after time as grossly inferior to the stock fans. And if the stock fan clutch/blades is/are really an obstruction to work around, it takes all of about 2 minutes to temporarily take it off. And aesthetics can't be a reason because the AAP fan shroud looks like a couple of pie tins, and the Zirgo fans pictured above are a ziptie hack (no offense).

Bottomline, the stock fan/shroud is extremely well-designed for its application, efficient, reliable, and quiet.......if it ain't broke.......
I agree man...when I got my car it had the flex-a-craps on it. I figured since the car was already wired, I'd try some different fans. It was the more affordable alternative...$120 vs. $450+ for the stock fan, clutch, aux fan, and shrouds. (That's 30 back of Toyota book). I figured if this doesn't work, I'll start to hunt down some used stuff...but it's worth the $120 to give it a try. The fans retail for $80 each so I'm sure I can get my money out of them if I go to stock. I do agree with the previous poster that mentioned getting around the front of the engine is a lot easier. I like my zipties :1poke:

Mark

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have them. They do run hotter but I don't drive my car enough to really matter. I can't say that I've ever overheated with them though. A TRD thermostat is a must I think with any electric fan.

Mike

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
mike91t said:
I have them. They do run hotter but I don't drive my car enough to really matter. I can't say that I've ever overheated with them though. A TRD thermostat is a must I think with any electric fan.

Mike
I'd disagree with that...the cooler coolant temp throws the AFR's off...I already run a little rick (as most BPU's do). One thing I've noticed is a lot of leaky coolant caps on aftermarket radiators which result in cooling system pressure losses. Show of hands as to any with coolant cap leaks? I even saw it on Ryan Woon's RSP SC300...I've battled with it plenty. Filed the neck down flat and it's better, but I'm tempted to try a stock Toyota cap vs. these pretty caps (i.e. Greedy, Blitz...blah blah)

Mark

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I should clarify I've used Map Ecu with mine and tuned it out and now with AEM it's even better and the temps will stay down.

Mike

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I can't argue with the fact that history has shown us that the stock fan works better than what most have tried to date. Never have I claimed anything else. However I hold to my opinions about it being a pain, not looking good, and taking up space I have already given to other things.

Many of you not understanding this obsession wiith going electric need to take a look under their hood and count up all the money spent on other cosmetic changes. For me spending $150 on a couple fans is worth giving up the polished intake manifold. So, I will find (actually I hope I already did) a set of cost effective electric fans that will match the stock fan. If you don't agree that is fine, but no more posts claiming you don't know why anyone would do this.

Ok, I destroyed the soap box.
Daniel

1 - 20 of 30 Posts