Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a n/a supra, and im looking to get another car I can mod and stuff like that, well, I cant find another MKIII that is turbo around here. That is what I truly want, but im in need of a car, since my dad is gonna be needing my car sometime soon. I found an 87 RX7 turbo with 123k miles for about 2 grand.... is that a good deal?? I still need to go drive it and check it out tomorrow....... do u guys like the car? or any feedback I can get on it? how much horspower does it have? reliable? stuff like that.... anything back would be appreciated.. thanx....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea...

Ive checked all the autotrader ads these past days for stuff around my area, no luck =(.... and ebay. same thing, nothing there.... I just wanna get feedback on the turbo RX7.....

·
Registered
592 Posts
RX-7's have ROTARY engines man!!!! If its got over 50k on it dont buy it. You can make a considerable amount of power with a rotary engine but there not very reliable IMO. Main reason I say so is no one knows how to work on them. If you have a problem your screwed!!! Ill tell you what if you can find 5 people that REALLY know how a Wankel works......I'll buy it for you....LOL

Pass on it man, find a MK3

M

·
0 Posts
hmm, i would say get the t2 is you are REALLY sure you can work on cars. the turbo rotary can be made fast and then driven daily, but you have to watch it and pay attention to every little detail. and then you have to really understand how the engine works. im not just talking out of my ass: 3 of my close friends own rx7s. one of them overheated his 89NA twice already, but it still drives normal. that's because he was quick enough to notice the temp go up.

you can make them fast, but again expect to learn a lot of new shit before you can do anything safe. there are numerous precautions you will have to take to boost it more. but it's all doable.

basically if you know you can take the engine out, take it apart and know what everything does and how, then you will not have trouble with the Turbo-II:) i hope this helps.

·
king lurker
193 Posts
Proficio said:
RX-7's have ROTARY engines man!!!! If its got over 50k on it dont buy it. You can make a considerable amount of power with a rotary engine but there not very reliable IMO. Main reason I say so is no one knows how to work on them. If you have a problem your screwed!!! Ill tell you what if you can find 5 people that REALLY know how a Wankel works......I'll buy it for you....LOL

Pass on it man, find a MK3
the problem with rotarys once they go over 50k is that their gaskets go just like ours do once he hit 100k or wanna start some serious boosting. i know very little bout x7's but i say go to a rx7 board and post.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see...

thanx for all the feedback guys....... im still gonna decided upon it when I see it tomorrow and actually drive it........ but im not wanting to have one as much anymore, cause I really dont know shit about mazda's rotary engines, so that is a big negative for me if I do decide to get the car...

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you are serious about getting a RX start learning as much as you can NOW. They are great cars if taken care of properly. Don't slack on oil changes never drive it until it is at full operating temp.
Do a compession test on the engine, make sure it is perfect. I would really have hard time buying a T2 without extensive records and from a owner who really seems to know a lot about rotaries. If you do decide to purchase the car buy a temp gauge and boost gauge first. Do not do any mods unless you have adressed the need for more fuel. Detonate once and your out a motor. Air/ fuel gauges are your friends also. With all that said they are great cars and have the potential to be very fast. I personaly owned an 80 sport, 85 gsl- se, 87 t2, and a 74 rotary pickup. I love them but they just bit me one too many times. Good luck.

Ryan

B

·
0 Posts
The rotary engines are a pretty stout engine and not that bad to work on if you understand them. The engines will last up to 150k whithout any problems if matained properly. A typical rebuild consist of replacing the apex seals and bearings. The nice thing is that you can rebuild them for around $300 provided your doing the work and alot of the parts are reusable without machining unlike the piston engines. One full turn of a rotary equils 3 turns of a pistin engine. Just keep in mind that if you cant do the work yourself that expect to spend some money for a good mechanic. Not alot of them can do proper repairs on those cars so weigh the options.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you are serious about getting a RX start learning as much as you can NOW. They are great cars if taken care of properly. Don't slack on oil changes never drive it until it is at full operating temp.
Do a compession test on the engine, make sure it is perfect. I would really have hard time buying a T2 without extensive records and from a owner who really seems to know a lot about rotaries. If you do decide to purchase the car buy a temp gauge and boost gauge first. Do not do any mods unless you have adressed the need for more fuel. Detonate once and your out a motor. Air/ fuel gauges are your friends also. With all that said they are great cars and have the potential to be very fast. I personaly owned an 80 sport, 85 gsl- se, 87 t2, and a 74 rotary pickup. I love them but they just bit me one too many times. Good luck.

Ryan

·
0 Posts
Try to bring the price down a little. Try to convince him it is a high-mileage car and he won't get that much for it. If it is clean and looks well-taken care of offer him maybe $1200 and work from there.

I don't really like the old RX7s, but I love the FCs and FDs. They are very light and agile cars. But as everyone said before - you have to know what you are doing when you start tuning them or you'll run into trouble fast. Keep in mind that you will need to spend money on things such as Apex seals. Know what that is? I didn't think so... neither do I, I just heard the term used before!

I was considering an FC before I got my Supra. But decided to go with the Supra since it is more forgivable to beginning tuners, and you could learn to do most of the work yourself. It is much easier to learn how to work on and tune than RX7s of any type.

·
0 Posts
Oh my fault - I wasn't sure. But anyway try to convince him to lower the price to $1200-$1600 if you're getting it. Try to have at least some money left over in case anything goes bad on the car.

Z

·
0 Posts
There are lots of guys that get lots of miles out of a FC. alot fo the reliability prolems are in the carzy complicated sequentil turbo system of the FD, and it its a turbo you can easly make it fast.

Even if the engine isn't in good condition $2000 is a good deal if the rest of the car is in good condition. You can get a built + ported rotary engine with the money ou save.

The real problem is that many joe blow mechanics don't know how to work on the rotory, but there are rotory specilist shops spred around, or if your willing to work on your car on your own.

I say go for it if the interior/exterior is in good condition.

Oh and don't flame me :) I'm an ex-mk3 owner, and I'm still working on one for a frind of mine.

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
anyways, i had a na rx7 before i came to the supra world. sign up on rx7club.com you will learn lots of shit from them. i would get it. the rx-7 has the best power/weight ratio. they dont blow up if you take good care of them like some ignorant people say. they just hear it a lot from people. people that supe the engine up and bolt on this shit on before they get it running to 110%. you cant just bolt shit right up to a rx-7 the engine wasnt made for it. you have to beef shit up then you can bolt stuff on. i say go for it. and if you get it, dont ever, ever bring it to the dealer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanx for the feedback once again... alot of proposing information....... mostly on how its a good deal if I know the shit and will do the work myself, sadly enough, if I do get the car, its gonan be a challenge because I will be starting from the bottom abotu knowing about rotary engines... Im still trying out the car tomorrow, im going to see how it goes...

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
If you get the rx-7 dont mod it, just change the oil RELIGOUSLY every 2500 miles with Dino oil... i used Castrol GTX 20w50 and 10w30 its what most rotarites seem to recomend as its a cleaner burning oil and rx-7s burn oil in their intake as part of the engines lubrication. So between your first few oil changes youll be reading up on the car and than youll know whats goin on and youll be all set to mod and have a fun spinner that you can whip around to your hearts content and still wanna spin some more!

Heh yeah, I used to own one to, and 85 GS 12A Engine 1.1L!! with full RacingBeat Exhaust, K&N, Centerforce Steel Flywheel and Clutch and removed a bunch of emissions crap jetted the carb a lil bigger new fuel pump lost some accessories in the car and it was probably around a mid 15 second car... faster than a NA MKIII little slower than the Turbos... their addictingly fun. Mine wasnt fast but it was peppy and the fun factor was WAY WAY UP THERE! Def a lot more fun to drive than my 87Supra T

1 - 20 of 33 Posts