Supra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
what condition is the car in? if you go ahead and listen to these guys and the heresay they propose about the reliability and dont buy the car i may want it. it'll be fun to build another 550 horsepower FC.
remember youre asking about an rx-7 on supraforums. i think the feedback you get wont always be unbiased. two grand for an FC in good condition is a good deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
before thinking about buying an rx7 (i am talkign about turbo ones) make su reu like to be under the hood and strat learning how a rotary works now, and before gettign one i would reccomend readign up a lot on it u can do too many stupid things that u wont even realize and blow the car. i am not gonna go into details but if an rx7 is properly modded it will be pretty reliable as long as u tak ecare of it, though its alwyas easier with a piston engine and especially a supra..

most of teh seals go on a rotary because of overheating or running lean. if run alittle too lean thats it BOOM on a turbo, the NA is alittle diff story. i drive teh NA daily just because i dont wanna deal with a turbo and i wanna go to work EVERYDAY ;)

not many people around that know how a rotary PROPERLY functions, so many mechanics sometimes do more bad tehn good.
u can eitehr rely on yourself or on a good "sometimes expensive"
rotary shop

compare the cars and see what u really want

B

·
0 Posts
well, i used to have an 87 RX-7 Turbo. there are time when i wish i kept it... and times im glad i got rid of it. it's a really amazing car. that rotary engine felt like it could rev forever. the interior design on the car is just awesome... and i've never felt so connected to a car as i did with the RX-7. its small size and light weight give it such a go-kart feel. i felt like i could toss it around anywhere, whereas im a bit weary in the Supra because of its size and bulk.

rotary engines are not hard to work on.. there is a good amount of space in the engine bay to get at things.

i would reccomend one... you just need to have love for the car and take care of it and it will treat you well.

T

·
0 Posts
yo rotaries are soo easy to work on, soo easy to fix, and so easy to get power from. a simple rebuild and port will cost about 750 if you do the work yourself, and you will be making a lot more power. just watch the fuel level in the tank, and dont mod it till you get some type of fuel setup. also, be prepared to deal with lots of little bullshit problems like bad hot idle, stalling, oil consumption, shit like that, just learn to enjoy it

·
Registered
330 Posts
Rx-7

I own an 88 TII, and it ran on a stock motor until 90K and on 10 PSI with a V trim turbo, 3" intake, full 3" exhaust, G Force ECU, S-AFC, RC 720CC Secondaries, water injected intercooler, Act clutch, emissions removal, it ran great, until it over boosted one night to 13 PSI. The next 2 I blew up were from a short in my injector harness. It depends on how you treat them as to how long they last. Just my opinion. I paid 6 grand for mine 2 years ago.

P

·
0 Posts
i have an 87 turboII and it rocks. the engine bay is not crammed and everything is fairly easy to get to (nothing like the 300zx i just sold.) if you ever go to test drive an rx7, pay close attention to how they idle. idle can tell you alot about these cars. if it idles bad STAY AWAY from it. the only complaint i have about rotary engines is that mazda used alot of mickey mouse contraptions to control the idle on these things. other than that, they rev very easily (just as smooth at 3k rpms as it is at 8k rpms) because nothing has to change direction, they are very light compared to these supras, 3000gts and 300zxs, they handle great, and they look good. if you ever upgrade it (intake downpipe exhaust) make sure you get some bigger injectors and fuel pump. DETONATION KILLS ROTARY ENGINES. intake exhaust and downpipe will raise the boost like 6 or 7 psi, and when you dont have enough gas going in with that air, kaboom... apex seals and detonation do not fuck on the weekends.(they also hate eachother) I SAY BUY THE RX-7! THESE MKIIIs ARE TANKS.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
plasma2010 said:
i have an 87 turboII and it rocks. the engine bay is not crammed and everything is fairly easy to get to (nothing like the 300zx i just sold.) if you ever go to test drive an rx7, pay close attention to how they idle. idle can tell you alot about these cars. if it idles bad STAY AWAY from it. the only complaint i have about rotary engines is that mazda used alot of mickey mouse contraptions to control the idle on these things. other than that, they rev very easily (just as smooth at 3k rpms as it is at 8k rpms) because nothing has to change direction, they are very light compared to these supras, 3000gts and 300zxs, they handle great, and they look good. if you ever upgrade it (intake downpipe exhaust) make sure you get some bigger injectors and fuel pump. DETONATION KILLS ROTARY ENGINES. intake exhaust and downpipe will raise the boost like 6 or 7 psi, and when you dont have enough gas going in with that air, kaboom... apex seals and detonation do not fuck on the weekends.(they also hate eachother) I SAY BUY THE RX-7! THESE MKIIIs ARE TANKS.

Tanks with Torque thx . My friend has a 87 Turbo II RX7, it sure is faster then me right now (His mom buys him shit, spoiled kid), but for straight lines, and a daily driver, a MKIII just has that won. If you want a car that can handle pretty damn well, go with the FC.... those miles are mighty high though, and my friends car only has 71k on it, and its been in the garage broken for half the time he's had it.

·
LAG?? Learn to drive...
1,941 Posts
GO MR2!! i have been in love with the mr2 for 5 or 6 years now. they are fast and nimble in turns or get a nissan 240sx and turbo it. a honda, acura, hell camaro anything but rx7's theey are a pain to work on trust me. my friend had the supercharged version and he allways was paying me to fix it cause he didnt know shit about them. i learned how just by working on his so much.

BTW: he thought he got a good deal the car only had 75,xxx when he bought it. turns out the guy ran the shit out of it and decided to sell it before anything was noticablly wrong with it. nice looking cars and they were monsters when they ran but id say buy another N/A supra rather than an rx7.

A

·
0 Posts
Mazda RX7 N/A 160hp
Mazda RX7 Turbo 200hp

The Turbo one is nice and fast, and i heard lots of good things about rotary just as much as the bad things i heard about it.

Rotary are ok, if theyre running well...

You'd best go for another Supra, or a Talon/Eclipse or 240sx.

D

·
0 Posts
i have owned 2 rx7s thus far. great cars. that is a great price, but be prepared to do some motor work (i.e j-spec motor) withing a few thousand.

those cars are getting hard to find... good thing is that they are cheap as fuck to get aftermarket parts for, unlike the supra..:)

-scott

P

·
0 Posts
My friend posted under my name earlier in this thread but I own a 93 rx-7 and I love it. You do have to pay attention about every detail about the car but if you keep up with them they are really great cars. I would love to own a supra but for the money rx-7’s are a great deal (cheaper up front and for aftermarket parts). The best advice I can give you is if you want to learn allot about cars and if you like to work on them get the rx, they are great cars to drive and you don’t see very many of them. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
287 Posts
lol! I was just reading and seems like I've read this before! then I looked at the dates and it's from april! the guys probably not with us anymore!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts