Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help from the gurus...

Ross Machining has released a supra th400 flexplate for ~$700

the question is, is it better to get this flexplate and an 11" gm convertor or to run a hybrid convertor?

also, will this flexplate work with the SP Th400 kit?

thanks!
Jon

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Their flexplate is similar to what UR made some time ago. It works with most any GM converter (you may have to drill new holes depending on which bolt pattern your GM converter has). It won't work with the SP th400 kit I don't believe. I used one of these alum flexplates for a while, but they don't flex. I wouldn't recommend one for a daily driver.

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Def run a full Chevy converter...don't screw around with those hybrids!!

I think DaveH might be selling adapter kits too, i'm not sure though???

Jay

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
Philly Single said:
Def run a full Chevy converter...don't screw around with those hybrids!!

Jay

Why?, the converters are the same.... except for bolt pattern to the flexplate!

So you are saying that for a street car you should bash and cut the bottom of your car? Doesnt make any sense at all.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im just concerned with options....
for example, chevy converters tend to cost around 550-800 and you can get virtually anything you want from dozens of companies

for the hybrids, im left with precision, midwest, drc, and the last isnt even an option...
now u sp guys know that i have had a precision nuke my tranny... now just last week a midwest nuked my tranny... no one has experience with the DRC converter, and i dont have $3000.... so im considering running the flexplate and using a coan converter

new regarding the SFI billet flexplate...
i know it will cause a vibration in the pedal, and possible rattling feeling in the car.. im not concerned with that... what i want to know is if i put one of these flexplates on my car whether it will be detremental to the car if i drive it 5kmiles a year...

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
Exactly how many Chevys come with a 6 cylinder engine that makes no torque untiil boost comes on at 4K and revs to 8K?? Closest thing in the Chevy catalog you will find is maybe GN converter. Let me know how that works out for you!! LOL

Also let me know how much fun it is cutting up the tranny tunnel in your car to make the Chevy bellhousing fit!!

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sound Performance said:
Exactly how many Chevys come with a 6 cylinder engine that makes no torque untiil boost comes on at 4K and revs to 8K?? Closest thing in the Chevy catalog you will find is maybe GN converter. Let me know how that works out for you!! LOL

Also let me know how much fun it is cutting up the tranny tunnel in your car to make the Chevy bellhousing fit!!
larry... i would be using your kit in conjuction with that flexplate... so in the end id be running the toyo bellhousing... as was explained to me by dean, the hybrid converters are basically GM spec converters with different bolt patterns to mate up to our flywheel... so the only difference would be the bolt pattern of the converter

i spoke with the guys at fuddle (they are a favorite in the LS1 and big block community) and they said they can make me a hybrid converter to my specs with a toyo pattern or gm pattern

just want to know if running this flexplate would affect my car in a negative way

btw... czesc! jak sie masz?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Actually, If you use a Ultrabell and trim off the upper GM bolt mount and use one of the BOP bolt holes instead, you can get away with minimal tunnel thumping. I pounded this black tunnel a fair amount because it's my race car and I don't really care about asthetics as much as making it easy to work on. I could have thumped it much less.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
we use the sp adapter and a 100% chevy 9.5 converter with adapter ring(custom build for a wonderful price).

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,171 Posts
adapter ring? I was wondering if I could get a 100% chevy converter to fit inside the auto bellhousing if all I needed was a custom flexplate. Is that what you mean by adapter ring? I would be interested in a setup like this harwewe1. Any more info on this?

As far as converters go, anything you can get with a custom cover welded on, you can surely get as chevy. Larry said it, its just a different cover welded on, you are still getting a chevy converter. The limiting factor is what companies are willing to weld a custom cover on their chevy converters for you.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
here is a pic of the converter in the transmission(doing some engine work)
had to take with the my phone(my mom has my camera)

It's been in the car now for about a year with probably 60 passes and 3k street miles. We have had no problems with the converter. It was built tight so the turbo needs the spray to get going.
I'll get some better pics after the weekend. Wes

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I talked to the guys over at Fuddle Racing (a popular converter company in the camaro/corvette/th400 community) and they said they have interest in producing a hybrid converter for our cars...

they said approx cost would be $800 for the full race converter (with a high str, any stall, 48sqin clutch, billet cover, antiballooning plates, brazed fins)

sounds like a deal to me!

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Sound Performance said:

So you are saying that for a street car you should bash and cut the bottom of your car? Doesnt make any sense at all.
Hey, I'm just saying back when this all started to get big - some folks were having issues with the hybrid converter deals...was it PI? If more companies are available, all the better.

I'm just saying it's very easy to pick up the phone and get a pro-torque (or TC of your choice) made for a chevy pattern that'll fit a Supra power curve.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sound Performance said:
thats also the reason that these hybrid converter prices are ridiculous...

howcome a chevy converter costs 600 but a hybrid for a supra costs 1100?
thats y im currently talking to the guys over at Fuddle racing... they will give us th400 converters at chevy prices

i verified it earlier today.. they are going to start making one this week

DaveH and Harwewe: what brand converters are you using?

·
Registered
187 Posts
If your paying between 5-600 dollars for a chevy converter... your shopping at the wrong place. I know its a little different, but I just had a 400 built for my grand national, they origionally come with a 2004r. The only tricky thing about the changeover is that I didnt have mine converted to a manual valve body because I plan on driving my car on a regular basis... And the problem is that is is vacuume modulated, meaning that at 0 vacuume at the modulator, the pump will go to max pressure. The problem there is that my car doesnt see 0 vacuume at WOT, it sees 18 psi. There are a few options to fix this problem, one is a mechanical modulator, you can find online, I dont know if Im allowed to post the link. But its about 100 bucks, Some people say a 1 way check valve with a small pin hole on the modulator side will do the trick, But im not a big fan of doing things the hokey way.
I know this doesnt have ANYTHING to do with the torque converter question, but its something to think about, becuase unelss you go to a manual valve body, you WILL have to deal with this.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I'm running a Protorque 9" converter.

DaveH

swearitsstock said:
thats also the reason that these hybrid converter prices are ridiculous...

howcome a chevy converter costs 600 but a hybrid for a supra costs 1100?
thats y im currently talking to the guys over at Fuddle racing... they will give us th400 converters at chevy prices

i verified it earlier today.. they are going to start making one this week

DaveH and Harwewe: what brand converters are you using?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts