Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going everyone,

I have a quick question with regards to tire size shock settings and understeer/oversteer. I currently have 245/35/19 tires in front and 285/30/19 tires in back. I know that this differential in size will create a significant amount of understeer. I now have some koni sport shocks (which will be mounted on the lower perches) that i will be putting some tein h-tech springs on. When all is said and done the drop should be 1" in front and .8" in back. As i understand it, by setting the shocks slightly stiffer in the rear I would be able to promote a little bit of oversteer. my question is should i go this route (set the fronts at 1 and the rears at 2) in order to try and compensate for the understeer that my tire sizes are creating.

Also for those of you with koni shocks would 1 click in front and 2 clicks in the rear with 19" wheels make for a tolerable ride (not shake my internal organ loose)

thanks for all the help, I really appreciate the input.

-Geoff

·
911 Turbo Now
1,391 Posts
hey buddie, what do you mean understear, i dont think ive had any problems with understear with my car deu to the wide tires (255,295) do you think you will have understear because of the 19`s?
P.S. Are these the same wheels that you had last time i saw your car?

-Dan

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hey Geoff,

I finally got my H-techs last weekend and got them on. They will totally change your cars handling (for the better). So you may not have the same problem, as you do now, once you get them installed and get the car re-aligned. Oh, and my H-techs actually lowered mine 3/4 in instead of 1/2in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the input guys. as for the understeer i was reffering to, this may be more hypothetical then anything else, but i have seen from other posts on the forum that the larger the discrepency in tire width between the fronts and the rear the greater the understeer. so i was figuring that since setting the car a little stiffer in the rear promotes oversteer then maybe the two factors would balance each other out (i could be totally wrong!).

Dan: I actually just got some new wheels (19"ssr gt3's) here is a link to some pics i just posted a week or so ago with the new wheels and the new lip: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273670

db115: would you happen to have any pics of the car on the h-techs that you could send to my email adress: [email protected]. I have already ordered the springs and am very curious to see the drop since no one else on the forum seems to have them.

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
94suprattmd said:
thanks for the input guys. as for the understeer i was reffering to, this may be more hypothetical then anything else, but i have seen from other posts on the forum that the larger the discrepency in tire width between the fronts and the rear the greater the understeer. so i was figuring that since setting the car a little stiffer in the rear promotes oversteer then maybe the two factors would balance each other out (i could be totally wrong!).
theoretically, you are correct - the larger tires in back would push the smaller front tires, resulting in understeer.

by stiffening the rear suspension, you would promote oversteer...

so, theoretically, you could do some balancing out...

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Let me offer you some advice -- don't sweat it for the street. :)

Understeer is more controllable for most people anyway. ...and easier to drive in when it's raining.

I mistakenly had my rears at full hard with the fronts at full soft one day and almost wrecked on my "fun onramp".... so don't take it too far. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that sounds like some good advice "quick". If I were to go with a stiffness of 1 in front, and 2 in the rear (on a scale of 0-3) do you think that would be beneficial, or do you think that it would be more likely that it could lead to trouble, such as that which occurred on the offramp

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
That really depends on the dampers themselves. You can certainly give it a whirl. If I were you I'd just play it conservative on the street and run the same stiffness front-to-rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts