Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there everyone, looking forward to joining the Supra fam but I figured I’d ask for some wisdom before pulling the trigger.

I found a 1993 hard-top Supra RZ, 6-speed. From what I can tell, it’s bare bone stock; it’s still rocking the cassette player and potenza tires. Paint is in good condition and just your typical wear & tear on the interior. It’s got 45,360 miles on it and dealer is asking for 77k.

It is right-hand drive jdm and fully legal, according to the dealer. I’m still waiting for the vin number which I’ll compare to a handy guide I found lurking about here to see exactly what model I’m looking at. A couple of questions though:

1. Does 77k seem like a fair price? I know, broad question considering you can’t see the vehicle, but assuming it’s running well and in good condition, what are you willing to pay for a 93 JDM Supra?
  2. Any significance between the 3-spoke vs 4-spoke steering wheel, was that just part of the facelift?
  3. Are the jdm models just tuned for 276hp or are the US/European versions equipped with different turbos allowing larger output?

I appreciate any and all input, it’s always great to find a supportive community willing to help the little guy. Best I can do is return the favor once I gain some experience of my own.

·
Super Moderator
11,197 Posts
Welcome!

77K is definitely on the high side. Virtually all JDM models are hardtops so a JDM hardtop is common, not rare as it is with a LHD export Supra.
JDM VIN numbers were very different so be advised that it won't register with most US based VIN checks.

The earlier JDM 3-spoke wheels were the non SRS airbag wheels. The SRS airbag was an option in Japan in those years, and when equipped it used the same airbag 4 spoke 'Camry' wheel found in US delivered LHD Supras from 93-97.

The JDM 2JZ-GTE has faster spooling ceramic turbine stock turbos, that are actually slightly larger than the stock US/Euro spec turbos but fail at much lower boost and therefore the export turbos are known to be more powerful.
Also smaller is the intake cam and the injectors. These are all commonly changed with various tuning packages and upgrades, so a JDM engine isn't really inferior in any way.

If you're really in the market at 77k, I'd encourage you to hold out for a little while and see what comes along. If you have that liquid and ready to move on a better car, you'll have the opportunity to!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wreckless: I appreciate your reply on the previous post but it was unfortunately taken down : ( would you be able to share again what you mentioned? Sorry for the annoying post management on my part.

·
Registered
81 Posts
1. You can still find LHD examples for a similar price. It will just have more miles. If you intend to modify it, it will be way cheaper to get one that’s already built. I’ve seen some really clean and well built LHD cars on facebook for around 70-80k.

77k for a RHD car is too much.

2. The 3 spoke is the one without the airbag. There were 2 versions of the 3 spoke. The one with the airbag came on 97 and later cars.

3. JDM one has smaller turbos.

·
Registered
33 Posts
77K seems pretty high for a RHD, but I don't even know how to judge what the market should be anymore.

Reactions: Aviate90

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've seen RHD RZs going for ~55k these last few weeks. Haven't seen a single one going for over 60k (that's actually sold) . I wouldn't spend nearly close to 77k on a rhd, with that mileage, even if it was in great condition.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I agree with everyone, 77k would be a good deal for a clean low mileage example LHD car. For RHD its seems definitely on the high end of things.

If it were a factory rare color with all the best options, clean with low mileage, 77k might be warranted.

What color is the car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the input gents. I’ll go ahead and pass on the 77k model. Did stumble across this one though and was wondering if I could get some thoughts/opinions?:

Buddy a little more experienced in tuners than me is saying something probably seems off? Mentions that if it’s really pushing 700whp on corn, the engine alone must’ve cost him 30k. So its either a grey import or probably on the verge of exploding considering all the mods and the low price.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Still a bit much imo. Especially since it's got a R154 rather than V160. Join the various supra facebook groups. There's been a few nice LHD V160 cars selling for 70-80k. I also remember seeing a fully built LHD T56 car selling for a tad over 70k a few weeks ago.

Also, a stock block 2jz will take 700whp without issue. 800whp/550-600ft-lbs is where I'd call it quits on a stock block. Looking at the mod list on that facebook ad, I'd assume the guy has put around 10k or less into it NOT including drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Worth mentioning, I talked my UPS guy (and an old friend) into buying a Mk4. He picked himself up a super clean 93 RZ, it's been a real treat to pore over. One thing I noticed that threw me off was the brakes. After doing his homework, he discovered that the 93 RZ was the only year Turbo to come equipped with the NA brake system. A bit disappointing, but it was still something neat to learn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts