Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys, i have a alpine cva-1005 installed in my supra and just bought a PS2 to hook up. so wat kind of ac/dc power invertors do you recommend...wat kind of wattage should i be looking out for? and also, can i hook it up to the battery cause i want to use my cigarette lighter for my cell phone charger. please help. thanks again in advance.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
here's my power inverter and ps2...

i hard wired it through the cigarette lighter and i still have access to the lighter for charging my cell phone. behind the cigarette lighter, just push in the positive and negative wires of the power inverter and tape it up. don't forget to connect a fuse also (i used a fuse from one of my amp kits). it works perfectly. :)

as for my power inverter, i picked mine up on sale at fry's for 20 bucks(good deal...its 40 bucks normally). its a wagan auto ac inverter 12volt and it has 140 watt of continuous power. its perfect for laptops, mini-DVD players, and video games. and its really compact too. :)

E

·
0 Posts
Most any power inverters will work well in your application. I do not recommend using the cigarette light b/c if you use both at once you will eventually overload the circuit, and blow the fuse. This depends on the current draw from both units. Just run the wires to your battery with a fuse, or just run the lead to the distribution block for your amps, if you have any. Make sure either which way you have fuses at the power inverters specs.
Plug & play and enjoy.

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Originally posted by EARCANDY:
<STRONG>Most any power inverters will work well in your application. I do not recommend using the cigarette light b/c if you use both at once you will eventually overload the circuit, and blow the fuse. This depends on the current draw from both units. Just run the wires to your battery with a fuse, or just run the lead to the distribution block for your amps, if you have any. Make sure either which way you have fuses at the power inverters specs.
Plug & play and enjoy.</STRONG>
thanks for the warning about overloading the circuit EARCANDY. thats probably why i've been so careful not to run both at once. there's a on/off switch on the inverter so i've been careful not to use both components at the same time.

off topic, i read your post about putting a film over the screen to avoid fingerprints. i have an eclipse 7301 with a 5.8in screen. where can i get the plastic film and is there a method i can use to peel it off without scratching the screen?

thanks

E

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by ToySuPRa1:
<STRONG>off topic, i read your post about putting a film over the screen to avoid fingerprints. i have an eclipse 7301 with a 5.8in screen. where can i get the plastic film and is there a method i can use to peel it off without scratching the screen?

thanks</STRONG>
I have been trying to find the company a customer spoke of with regards to the films, but I can not seem to find it on the net. It was one that makes the films for the palm pilot, he just got them custom sized for his touch screen.

I will try and track down a company to produce these for customers who are interested. No promises though. Best thing I can tell you is go to a local palm dealer and ask them who makes the covers and contact them directly.

Best of luck, if you can't get anyone to make this for you check back with me in a few weeks to a month. I will give you an update on my search.

·
1,005 Posts
Where is the best place to mount a power inverter? I got the Whistler PPC300. Also what's the best way to hardwire it? Straight to the battery or just run it off an accessory like the cigarette lighter? Thanks...

E

·
0 Posts
TRDSupraSE said:
Where is the best place to mount a power inverter? I got the Whistler PPC300. Also what's the best way to hardwire it? Straight to the battery or just run it off an accessory like the cigarette lighter? Thanks...
Mount the power inverter in the most convenient to you. More likely close to what ever you are going to plug into it. I have put them in the dash, under the front seats, glove box, in the back seat (inside of the seat), trunk, the possibilities are endless. I say up it under your front seat if it will fit, and remember that the power inverter just like any amp must breath. Oh and make sure that there is no heat blowing on it from your heater/AC.

As for wiring it, never to the cigarette lighter, because once you overload the circuit it becomes a real pain in the rear to keep replacing fuses. Always to the battery, use a 12-10 gauge line, fused for the power inverters specs, within 6 inches of the battery. The line is quite thick for this application, but it will reduce current loss and help you run your application with out the fluttering that some people experience then their vehicle is not running.
Plug and Play, & enjoy,
Jakub

1 - 7 of 7 Posts