Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally good weather arrives to MA just to let me know that my AC is not cooling as it used to. I can see a lot of bubbles in the receiver window. Of course I had a good run out of it - 18 years without a recharge - but now it finally needs it.

So what should I do - recharge with R12 or retrofit to R134a.

How much is a pound of R12 these days?

I heard a rumor there was some recall/campaign to fix some AC part and that a dealer would refill R12 for free. Is it still true?

Has anyone succesfully converted to R134a. Do I need to drain the old oil if I retrofit?

Please help.

·
90T
460 Posts
I believe that campaign was called P01, and was to replace the expansion valve. I had it done probably 10 years ago. Good luck convincing them to do it now!

If your system is blowing bubbles then it still has some charge and your leak is modest at worst. R12 is dropping in price now that demand is fading away, but its still not cheap. Given that your system seems to be in okay shape, I would try to find someone with a leak detector, run it over the system and if it passes, then charge it with R12 until the bubbles go away. Hopefully that will last another 18 years LOL.

If the leak is detectable then you will need to evacuate and fix it and decide whether to stick with R12 or switch to R134, with about a 20% loss in cooling capacity.

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
If your problem is an easy fix, id say keep the r12. I recently wanted to recharge my system and found a leak in one of the pressure switches ( don't know when the last time the ac worked). Changed out both pressure switches and viola, nice cold air. It really depends on if you're willing to spend the xtra money. But to sum it up, id say stick with the R12 if the problem is an easy fix.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I will start by going to the dealership and asking for the campaign to be done. I will let you know the outcome.

·
90T
460 Posts
Good luck. Their computer should have a record of it if it was done already. The campaign date is June 93! LOL

SB Number Issue Date TSB Title
SSCP01 JUN 93 Special Service Campaign - P01 (A/C Expansion Valve)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It Still Works!!!

Went to the dealership yesterday - they have ordered the part and will call me to make an appointment when it arrives.

Wow, 14-year old recall.

I will post here how it goes. I hope they will not try to charge me for the extra R12 needed.

·
Heavy Right Foot
188 Posts
bubbles are usually from a restriction in the line.. a pinch in the hard line or a plugged expansion valve..

r12 is running right around $60 a pound..

if this doesnt work out check out a company called icor or do a search for hotshot
its a r12 replacement that is much more efficient than r134a

and thank you all for not reffering to it as freon.. thats a brand name for dupont's r22 refrigerant

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
No matter how old the recall is the dealership / manufacturer has to honor it.

Wedge

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can use 416 as a direct drop in. Don't buy the r-12. Ive been running 416 in all my older cars with no problems. Like I said its a direct drop in replacement for r-12. Thanks Paul

·
Registered
211 Posts
bubbles are usually from a restriction in the line.. a pinch in the hard line or a plugged expansion valve..

r12 is running right around $60 a pound..

if this doesnt work out check out a company called icor or do a search for hotshot
its a r12 replacement that is much more efficient than r134a

and thank you all for not reffering to it as freon.. thats a brand name for dupont's r22 refrigerant
Bubbles in the sight glass means it is low on freon.= There is a freon leak. Usually its easy to find. just look at your freon lines and look for signs of oil. Look around the compressor. Very common on the compressor. The seal goes bad. Not theres a restriction.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
anyone have a parts list of all AC parts? I have a car with no AC parts and an 89 supra with ac parts but the AC doesn't work on the 89. I'm going to get it checked out and possibly swap all ac parts over so i can have a ac

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
I'd be surprised if the dealer put r12 back in it, and didn't just go ahead and retrofit it to 134a. Well, more like slap on the 134 fittings, pull a vacuum (hopefully), and fill it up. I'd ask, just to be sure.
The "correct" way to do it is to change the expansion valve, compressor, and accumulator/dryer, run a cleaner through everything else to remove the r12 oil, add 134 and new oil.
Of course, on my car, I ran a cleaner through the whole system, added new oil, and 134 with u.v. dye to find the leak. My compressor turned neon green over a couple months last summer :) It gets done the "correct" way this year.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd be surprised if the dealer put r12 back in it, and didn't just go ahead and retrofit it to 134a. Well, more like slap on the 134 fittings, pull a vacuum (hopefully), and fill it up. I'd ask, just to be sure.
The "correct" way to do it is to change the expansion valve, compressor, and accumulator/dryer, run a cleaner through everything else to remove the r12 oil, add 134 and new oil.
Of course, on my car, I ran a cleaner through the whole system, added new oil, and 134 with u.v. dye to find the leak. My compressor turned neon green over a couple months last summer :) It gets done the "correct" way this year.
I agree no way will the dealer put r-12 back in . Sounds like you know the field. You hit it right on the button. I just dont like the 134A. Ive been a refrigeration tech for 22 yrs and its very rare I mean very rare to use r-12 anymore.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are welcome.

However R12 IS FREON. R11, R12 and R22 all fall under the Freon trademark. Sometimes they are reffered to as Freon-11, Freon-12, Freon-22 to be more specific.

AFAIK only R12 has been banned so far, but other are scheduled to be stopped produced soon (e.g. R22 in 2015).

On the other side R134a is not Freon.

·
Heavy Right Foot
188 Posts
You are welcome.

However R12 IS FREON. R11, R12 and R22 all fall under the Freon trademark. Sometimes they are reffered to as Freon-11, Freon-12, Freon-22 to be more specific.

AFAIK only R12 has been banned so far, but other are scheduled to be stopped produced soon (e.g. R22 in 2015).

On the other side R134a is not Freon.

r22 equipment will be no longer manufactured in 2010.. january 1st as i recall..

asmos101 said:
Bubbles in the sight glass means it is low on freon.= There is a freon leak.
yes you are correct, In residential systems it can also be a restriction

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went to the dealership yesterday - they have ordered the part and will call me to make an appointment when it arrives.
Well, they never called back. I called them myself and they say the part (expansion valve) is on back order and they do not know when they going to get it, if ever. Anyway, they said they would not recharge the system for free with the recall.

So I just gave up on them and ordered two cans of Freeze 12 (a legal r12 substitute) and the connector hose on eBay and recharged the AC myself yesterday. It took about 15 oz of the new stuff for the bubbles to dissappear and I added about 3 oz more after that. The AC is ice cold now. I measured the air temperature and drop to the uper 30s now.

I almost froze to death on my way to work today (in a good way).

Thank to the asmos101 for making me aware of r12 substitutes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts