Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY WHATS GOING ON YALL?

i was just wondering if you all knew of some modifications i can get or do to my car for faster acceleration, and to make acceleration responce react quicker.

and also to run a time attack on a quarter mile oval race track how should i race it without getting lose, spinning out or either hitting a wall. should i run the whole quarter in over drive or should i leave it in drive and use the suspension in sport mode or regular mode? my car is an 87 supra, auto, and its all stock---for now.

but can you guys please help me out?

thanks, freddy p.

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
You dont used over dirve all the time.. its the "fourth" gear in the transmission. Use the button next to the park release (reads ETC i think).. it shifts more aggressively. Also try brake torquing by putting you left foot on the brake as hard as you can and loading the torque converter by pushing the gas to the point where the tires are about to spin but dont, then you are ready to launch you car.

You can use the sport shift, but it will cut down the life of the transmission.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooo ok,
dang dude i didn't know 87 automatic supras have torque converters in them already.
i hate running oval laps thats are a quarter mile long so should i stick close to the inside white lines on the turns and take straight aways close to the wall.

·
TE44 NA-T
1,026 Posts
WOW! You need to do a lot more research before you even think about racing.
You can start here.

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
you shouldn't be thinking of racing your car man.. sounds like you need to cruse your car around for 6 months before you start messing with it.

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
Why do I detect an oversteer slide into a concrete wall?

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
I've been doing 8 months of research on supras, my car is an 88 Nonturbo Automatic, I'm not even gonna think about racing till I'm at at least 300+ RWHP on my new setup, and I've driven the car like that for at least a month. Don't race a slow car. Waste of time and money. Fix it up first, drive it for a long time, then try and race if you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
supraman07 said:
oooo ok,
dang dude i didn't know 87 automatic supras have torque converters in them already.
i hate running oval laps thats are a quarter mile long so should i stick close to the inside white lines on the turns and take straight aways close to the wall.
Umm- I've never owned an automatic, but don't all auto's have a torque converter?

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
bud

1/4 mile oval track

1. our cars are to heavy
2. Just in suspension work expect to sink in $5000 if not more. remember old cars meaning bushing are worn. Stock coils got to go and you need the most adjustablity you can afford up front and the rear.
3. Supra is HEAVY!
4. Not enough power to weight ratio to make it competive.
5. If racing hope it won't be your DD. ESPECIALLY oval track where bump checks and aggresive driving happen all the time and you WILL WRECK.

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
I hate to sound mean, but you need to see the new members forum. Please check it out, do your research.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts