Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
So I took my car out today and was driving around, went to the beach, left the beach, and I start having problems with it. I would accelerate about half way, and it would studder a bit but keep going. And it did that for awhile, I got on the freeway and was going along and it started doing it really bad to the point where it was slowing down and I tried flooring it and it gave me nothing but studdered accell with tons of backfire. Then it went again fine, then I stopped at a light, and started again, and went up a hill, and it wouldn't accelerate at all, so I rolled back into a lot and turned it off for a bit and then started it and it's been running fine now...

Anyone know what is up? It's an 89 turbo.

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
It could be the engine bearing? cant really tell you for sure, but thats what it seams like to me.

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would that cost to fix????

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
WTF engine bearings? that wouldnt cause it to studder and backfire and him turn the car off and then it runs fine. if your bearings were fucked then you would need to rebuild your motor or get another one.
check for codes it might be throwing some. check your spark plugs/wires.

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha.
thanks spool for straighting that out.
Glad it's not that.
check for codes?????
going to have to explain, I'm new to cars...
I think my buddy who I bought it from had spark plugs put in pretty recently...

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
You are using premium (92+ octane) fuel, correct?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Check this site out it will give you all the info you need on how to get the codes you need as 'spoolme' was referring to. I think it mite be the AFM coz i had similar issues before my AFM completely gave out but the codes should clarify everything out.

peace.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
oh ya, the AFM. i would bet that might be it too. mine did the same when mine got wet and i replaced mine and it was fine.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
like what was said above to..dont use cheap gas. 91+ all the time.

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'm always using 92. nothing lower.
I'll check everything out and my AFM.
thanks guys.

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
I meant the crack bearings.. they will put you crank out of round and cause it to make no power but still make some at low RPM's, sorry that i didnt catch the backfire LOL then it is deffenty not the bearings :urowned:

·
Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar
519 Posts
I like AFM

·
Registered
135 Posts
Crack bearings lol.

Anyway, mine just started a little sputtering a couple days ago. Sometimes it runs perfect. Others, it has a slight sputter less than 3k. After that and it is fine. It also seems to do it at less than 75% throttle. When it is on the floor, the engine is smooth.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
NeatOman said:
I meant the crack bearings.. they will put you crank out of round and cause it to make no power but still make some at low RPM's, sorry that i didnt catch the backfire LOL then it is deffenty not the bearings :urowned:
lol sorry but I have to make a comment here. Your crank would most likely sieze before you noticed a dramatic loss in top end power. I mean no offense but you should probably read up on things a bit more before you scare someone with a drastic diagnosis like that.

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
evolvedrs said:
Crack bearings lol.

Anyway, mine just started a little sputtering a couple days ago. Sometimes it runs perfect. Others, it has a slight sputter less than 3k. After that and it is fine. It also seems to do it at less than 75% throttle. When it is on the floor, the engine is smooth.
let me know if you figure yours out.
I'm going to try and find some time this week to get it in or something. I don't know.
haha.
She ran fine today. It was so nice here. Targa off all day.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I hate sporatic problems. I took the dist cap off and cleaned all the contacts. I'm going to pull the plugs next and then check the wires.

At least mine is pretty much all the time now. Not bad like yours but it needs to be fixed. I think it's ignition.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cheak your butterfly for carben buildup also it could be your TPS

·
Registered
135 Posts
a_zepeda9236 said:
why not just buy new distributor cap and rotor.. its like 9 bucks instead of cheaping yoru way out of it
I don't consider cleaning the contacts "cheaping" my way out of it. I wasn't aware you could get a genuine Toyota cap and rotor for 9 bucks. Maybe you are "cheaping" your way out of it with chinese made parts.

That is what was wrong with mine. It has been missing about a week now so I hope that the ceramic just broke up too small to hurt anything and that it is all out of the engine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts