Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been unable to locate the cause of a very annoying vibration in my 87 Turbo. It has been to the Toyota dealer several times with no success and big bills. I was considering using accelerometers to help isolate the source. Has anyone ever tried this? I am open to any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
accelerometer might not pick up the vibration. At least the the 4G unit. You will need at a very minimum a 10G unit and even then that might not have the resolution that you need.

what specific RPM is the vib happening at? Did they triple check the balance of the drive shaft?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
you never stated what kind of vibration. where is it coming from? always been there? do something different? at all times?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vibration feels like a tire out of balance and is the worst between 65 and 80 mph. The vibration can be felt in the entire car and if I place a cup of water on the dash you can see it as the speed changes. I have had a 4 wheel alignment, new tires, tire re-balancing and a new drive shaft with no help. The car used to be silky smooth so something is broke or worn out.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
brakes

check the rotors. Besides that,

the next more likely culpruit is the drive shaft.

Stock oem unit?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All four rotors were turned, and I have a new drive shaft. Nothing I did to date has helped. My vehicle only has 70,000 miles on it and it has been doing this for at least 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
87BlueSupra said:
All four rotors were turned, and I have a new drive shaft. Nothing I did to date has helped. My vehicle only has 70,000 miles on it and it has been doing this for at least 10,000 miles.

ok the driveshaft
what type of drive shaft?

was it high speed balanced?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the original 2 piece drve shaft balanced by a shop that builds drive shafts. That didn't help. Toyota insisted that it needed to be replaced so I bought a new 2 piece drive shaft from Toyota. That didn't help either. I did not change the hanger but there was no play it so I assumed it was good.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
was the center bearing replaced? as that is seperate from the drive shaft.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
As mentioned.. the #1 cause of the problem you describe is the carrier bearing.. But any reputable driveshaft shop would have been able to diagnose that. Other causes of annoying vibration I have found before:

Bent rim..
front lower control arm bushings..
ball joints..
Steering rack..

Give us some specifics about your car.. 5 speed/AT, aftermarket or stock wheels?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I kinda have the same problem but it's not constant. It's brought on by the same speed yours vibrates but is intermitent. If I'm on the highway, it can come and go in the span of 2 minutes. I'll check my carrier bearing but I don't think it's that because I would feel it through my shifter. I'll have to check my brakes next.
Maybe yours could be a wheel or diff bearing if it's constant.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My Supra is a 5 speed with all stock equipment.

What about testing the car with the rear suspention on blocks? I'm tired of replacing parts without being sure they are defective. That is why I was trying to use instrumentation to isolate the problem.

·
aka supra_driven
196 Posts
big important piece nobody has really mentioned is the inner and outer tie rods. That will definately make ur car vibrate on the highway no matter what u do. check them out. Raise the vehicle and grab the wheel/tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and try to rock it. If it has some kind of play in it, it will most likely be ur tie rods and or ball joints. Also check ur wheel bearings while u have the wheel in the air. just grab the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock position instead and check for amount of play. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
87BlueSupra said:
My Supra is a 5 speed with all stock equipment.

What about testing the car with the rear suspention on blocks? I'm tired of replacing parts without being sure they are defective. That is why I was trying to use instrumentation to isolate the problem.
Kinda dangerous. Besides, it wouldn't create an on road simulation. No weight, no load etc.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I once had a bad vibration that I couldn't get balanced out- It turned out that I needed my front two tires SHAVED. Apparently, it's possible to have tires that are not necessarily out of balance, but out of round. Once they shaved them, my vibration was gone. Dunno if that helps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts