Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a dumb thing and have been running with about 6.5 litres (approximately 6.5 quarts) of oil in the engine.

I had an oil leak, which I fixed by replacing the oil drain bolt in the oil pan, but thought the oil was leaking somewhere else. I thought my dipstick wasn't reading right for some reason, and since I thought I was burning a lot of oil I added some periodically to be safe. Now I realize that the reason I couldn't read my dipstick was because it was already full! Idiotic thing to do.

Anyways, I have been running for a few days with 6.5. If I am right, 5 litres brings the level up to the full mark on the dipstick, so I should be about 1.5 litres over.

Will this amount of extra oil have done terrible things to my engine? I've never heard just how much extra oil you need to have before you start clogging everything up.

Well thanks for answering my silly questions.

Jamie

G

·
Well thats not necissarily a good thing but its nothing compared to having too little oil, just make sure you get rid of that excess and dont worry about it too much, we all do stupid things.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
I believe if you pour to much oil, the rods and crank won't be able to pick up the oil and that can be a problem? aight peace :wtf: can anyone clarify?

3,796 Posts
If there is too much oil, it will get frothy from the turbulence of the crank and will not lubricate as well. I wouldnt think you did any damage though...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would this frothiness dissipate after the engine was shut off or would it mess with the integrity of the oil?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
It would dissapate, after a little. it is just bubbles....

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
Heh heres a cool story of to much stuff in the crankcase.

Last week I am swapping an engine into my 85 RX7 to give to my girlfriend. We get it all in and ready to crank her... crank crank no start... We spray some starting fluid into her she runs for a second and dies, we use starting fluid like 5 or 6 times. Than on like the 6th time she starts up and all of a sudden I see a liquid coming from the oil filler neck through a tube and into the carb!!! I am like WTF!!! I had accidentaly switched two lines from the firewall and plumbed the fuel supply line right into the crankcase vent!! I had filled the entire engine with [email protected]! Heh car is running good now. I just consider the mishap as a really good engine flush ;)

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
Serzy said:
Heh heres a cool story of to much stuff in the crankcase.

Last week I am swapping an engine into my 85 RX7 to give to my girlfriend. We get it all in and ready to crank her... crank crank no start... We spray some starting fluid into her she runs for a second and dies, we use starting fluid like 5 or 6 times. Than on like the 6th time she starts up and all of a sudden I see a liquid coming from the oil filler neck through a tube and into the carb!!! I am like WTF!!! I had accidentaly switched two lines from the firewall and plumbed the fuel supply line right into the crankcase vent!! I had filled the entire engine with [email protected]! Heh car is running good now. I just consider the mishap as a really good engine flush ;)
duh, we need to confiscate your wrenches and license to operate forever

3,796 Posts
:lol:

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
Hey hey, thats no fair! If you look at the firewall on the RX7 there are 3 hoses in one little area, I am sure I am not the first to have done it. And through that cars entire engine swap it was the ONLY mistake. After that mishap it started right up and runs mint now ;)

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,211 Posts
DAMN ROD KNOCK!!!

I think I've got rod knock in my car (engine). How does it sound? I get this weird sound, kinda like something metal that's loose at only at a certain RPM.

D'oh, I guess it's a new engine for me...

-Joseph

3,796 Posts
Sounds like rod knock to me....sorry :(

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
perf0rmance said:
DAMN ROD KNOCK!!!

I think I've got rod knock in my car (engine). How does it sound? I get this weird sound, kinda like something metal that's loose at only at a certain RPM.

-Joseph
call that cop guy that trolls the forums! we have a thread hijacker!!!!

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
perf0rmance said:
DAMN ROD KNOCK!!!

-Joseph
i know what rod knock is. man let me hear it and i tell you aight then peace.

-anthony

1 - 20 of 23 Posts