Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got bored today soo I thought i'd check my turbo for shaft play. Got everything off but when I pulled the accordian hose out I noticed there was a hose hanging off the botton that just had a bolt in the end of it and wasnt connected to anything. Its the one in the picture thats pretty clearly defined, lol. Now my question is is it supposed to goto anything and the previous owner just put that bolt in it, or is it just supposed to hang there with a bolt in it? Haha, did check the turbo though, no shaft play at all and it span flawlesly. Pretty good for havin 165,000+ miles on it :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
it does connect somewhere, shouldn't just be hanging there, but when I remove my accordian hose I disconnect the hose right from the accordian hose not from the other side like in the pic. Im sure one of the more knowledgeable guys/gals can help you tho...

·
Broke Supra Addicted Fool
767 Posts
That hose goes to a valve on the Power Steering Pump... its for the Power Stearing Idle up... your valve on the pump may be busted? Also from the pump it goes across the front of the engine via a metal hardline and than goes somewhere on the intake side of the engine... Its not exactly necessary but make sure the other end on the intake side is also capped.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
That is for the power steering idle up. It idles the car up a little bit at low speeds to give the power steering pump a little more assist. It's not required unless you are lacking in body mass :p If you really want to plug it in it goes onto the power steering pump, there should be two nipples sticking out of a plastic piece. The other nipple goes to the intake plenum.

·
767 Posts
Heh 4 posts in under 3 minutes... thats a pretty good reaction time for us huh?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys :). Could this be the reason why my power stearing sucks ass when i'm trying to turn in parking lots?

·
767 Posts
Definately could be the reason.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
eh. its possible. but i have been running w/o that valve for quite some time and it doesn't do much @ all.

i'd guess your prob stems from dirty fluid, clogged filter screen in the res or a dying pump.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm, well ill connect it back up and see if that solves the problem. Then if not ill take your advice drjonez. Thanks guys for the quick responses, THIS FORUM ROCKS :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Just for a little more info, I don't use that port on my car either.

The only purpose it serves when it is on there is to increase the idle of the car slightly when you are sitting still and turning the wheel. That's the way to test that it's working at least. Without it, my idle drops a tiny bit when I turn sitting still, but that's all that it does. No real benefits or downfalls to having it or not having it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aaah, i c. Thanks Trent, didn't really feel like crawlin under the car to hook it back up anyway :p. Looks like ill be doin wt drjonez sed, lol

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
I've been running with mine disconnected for years. You can simulate it's effect by simple pushing the gas pedal down slightly.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
i have also been running with my disconnected... no problems here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts