Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this in the Technical Section, which appears to be a ghost town, so moving here for more foot traffic...

Greetings everyone! I'm in the middle of an 7MGTE ('87) engine build and I'm ready to start reassembling everything; however, I quickly put on the air brakes because the 2nd oil hole on the #3 main bearing is not aligning; I have ACL .25mm bearings. See pictures below:

Here you can see the upper oil hole in the bearing is not lined up to the offset oil hole in the #3 Main (Might have to zoom in to see it).
ACL Bearing - Offset Oil Hole.JPG

This picture is a little dark, but you can see the upper oil hole is offset and ACL didn't provide a bearing that matches this offset of the #2 oil hole for the #3 Main.
ACL Bearing - Misalligned Oil Hole.JPG

Has anyone had this problem with ACL Main bearings (Or any bearing manufacturer for that matter) in the past? Is the #3 Main oil holes offset on all 7MGTE blocks? For folks that have done a rebuild, has your Main bearings included a bearing with the proper oil hole offset for #3?

Another thing I noticed is the bearing is not as wide as the journal, so it doesn't cover all of the surface area.. is this normal?

Before I contact the seller about this, I wanted to do my research and see if anyone else has seen this or if this is an anomaly. Thank you for any input anyone might have.

Jonathan

·
Moved to the dark side
989 Posts
hole misalignment is not a problem. The bearing is not as wide as the journal otherwise the oil could not spray out and you dont have flow. You need to spray out the oil on the sides (just slightly) to keep fresh oil coming in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, that helps put my mind at ease. So much rides on the success of the bearings being installed properly and allowing them to do their job that I don't want to be too hasty and assume anything :)

So that makes sense about the bearing width being a little smaller.. speaking of. The bearing for the #4 center bearing is wider than the journal, as the journal is cut-in to allow for the thrust washer; I can take a picture when I get home if needed, but I think the bearing is just wide enough to cover the thrust washers. Is this normal as well?

Thank you for your patience in breaking this down Barney style for me :p

·
YotaMD.com author
730 Posts
I started this in the Technical Section, which appears to be a ghost town, so moving here for more foot traffic...
My first reaction was: "There's a tech section for the mk3 section of this site?" click, click... "Well I'll be, there sure is." It may as well not exist. The mk3 section doesn't have enough traffic on here to dictate it's own sub-tech area, IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts