Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
12,432 Posts
Pure garbage. This is why you don't see BMWs breaking records at the drag strip.

Steve

·
Anime Dork
5,283 Posts
There's always hope that Toyota has a 100% Toyota powertrain in the works for the Supra.
That is a pipe dream. They had so many chances to put in the new turbo V6 from the LS500 but chose not too or even the put in the V8 from the RC-F or LC500. So i doubt Toyota will ever really bring a sports car that they developed on there own. i think those will all be lexus only and "Toyota" sports cars will be co-developed and built not true toyota sports cars.

·
supra7
514 Posts
Not real sure what the surprise is here. Just doing what BMWs do. Supra badge won't fix BMW

·
Registered
713 Posts
I don't mind Adam too much, but his Zupra ownership has been as follows:

I don't drag race, I drift, but I'm just going to rain money on ths Zupra and try to break records. It's been pretty cringey the whole damn time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If toyota made the decision to cross platform their Lexus motors in to their Toyota "sport" cars, we would all be satisfied no? I think its very silly of them, lexus doesn't quite demand the acclaimed luxury status as other competitors do, so keeping their performance motors limited to Lexus just seems silly to me. They can always de-tune the motor so it doesn't step on the lexus sport brands toes(much like GM does with camaro vs vett motors), and let us supra guys bring it back to or exceed stock ratings.

Who here would object to the V35A-FTS or the 2uR-Fse? Two very capable motors made by toyota that could have been used. Sadly they sourced BMW. Anyone whos head is so far up their ass as a lexus owner who would object or scream murder from the cross shared platforms, probably wouldn't know about to begin with.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That is a pipe dream. They had so many chances to put in the new turbo V6 from the LS500 but chose not too or even the put in the V8 from the RC-F or LC500. So i doubt Toyota will ever really bring a sports car that they developed on there own. i think those will all be lexus only and "Toyota" sports cars will be co-developed and built not true toyota sports cars.
Not when the GR brand is being worked on and Lexus has big plans. I'll wait till all of that is running out of steam.

·
Administrator
8,450 Posts
Not when the GR brand is being worked on and Lexus has big plans. I'll wait till all of that is running out of steam.
The new supra would have been the car for the GR brand to work on.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The new supra would have been the car for the GR brand to work on.
I agree but at the same time, looking at how Toyota used the 2JZ in so many vehicles, I think they might be waiting for enough models to share an engine with the Supra, before bringing it to the Supra. If nothing happens to the Supra as those models come out then sure, we can officially shit can this idea.

·
Administrator
8,450 Posts
I agree but at the same time, looking at how Toyota used the 2JZ in so many vehicles, I think they might be waiting for enough models to share an engine with the Supra, before bringing it to the Supra. If nothing happens to the Supra as those models come out then sure, we can officially shit can this idea.
Dude, Toyota did nothing with this car other than send the calty body design file to bmw. How could you even start to formulate toyota would be playing the long game waiting for their designers to come up with enough cool cars that it would warrant the supra having its own power plant? Lexus had engines in their portfolio that could have easily found a home in the new "supra". This conversation is so old and stale at this point I can't believe I'm even arguing it.

I will say it again, I don't hate the car as a standalone thing. Its a fine car and many people will enjoy it.
But if bmw started manufacturing Lexus vehicles for lexus with lexus emblems slapped on, I would never buy another lexus. I don't buy cars to keep them for 3-5 years, because if you buy a bmw product... that is their useful shelf life before you go broke trying to keep them together. This is coming from someone who loves bmws prior to 2003.

My point pertains to toyota motor corporation using BMW as their manufacturer to drum up enthusiasm for their motorsports brand. You can't even argue this car had much to do with toyota other than the exterior styling. I'm not mad at people that bought the car, I'm not mad at the car, I'm not mad at tuners that are making "exhaust burble" tunes for the cars. Theres plenty of members here who are angry at any thread that mentions 2020 Supra in a positive light. I'm not that guy. I'm glad people are having fun, spending money, etc if that means it trickles down to prop up the toyotas we all know and love.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts