Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
98 RSP TT
2,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yea, im real low and thats why my water temp runs high when im idle. The previous shop didnt tight down the upper radiator pipe so it leaked.

Anyway, will antifreeze from Wal MArt work?
Should i add distilled water after the antifreeze?
SHould i fill it when the car is running or off?

thanks

Eric C

·
Very Senior Member
9,963 Posts
Eric_C said:
yea, im real low and thats why my water temp runs high when im idle. The previous shop didnt tight down the upper radiator pipe so it leaked.

thanks

Eric C
look here:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239059&highlight=antifreeze+coolant

Toyota red is best. Get a 50-50 mix. Use distilled water when you need H2O.
Have car turned off. when you think it's full, rock the car up and down with the cap off. Then cap it and drive a round a bit.
recheck until you are satisfied it's full.

·
Very Senior Member
9,963 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
VickSupra said:
look here:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239059&highlight=antifreeze+coolant

Toyota red is best. Get a 50-50 mix. Use distilled water when you need H2O.
Have car turned off. when you think it's full, rock the car up and down with the cap off. Then cap it and drive a round a bit.
recheck until you are satisfied it's full.
when i fill my system i kept it runnign witht he heat on full blast...i would assume this would be the way to do it to totally fill the system??

if its over filled wont it just come out the overflow?

anthony

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
IcedSuPrA said:
when i fill my system i kept it runnign witht he heat on full blast...i would assume this would be the way to do it to totally fill the system??

anthony

You got it, if it overflows while your filling it'll just pour out of the filler cap area. The coolant overflow pulls the coolant from the reservoir when your running low.

·
Very Senior Member
9,963 Posts
IcedSuPrA said:

anthony
Good point. I forgot to mention cycling through the heater!

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
Eric_C said:

thanks

Eric C
Eric, if you're real low then the car should be off and cool. Make a mix of antifreeze+water in a bottle and pour it into the rad. Then fill up the reservior to the Full line.

Antifreeze from walmart should honestly be fine. I believe they have Prestone Dexcool (red antifreeze) there. There's a write up on MKIV.com saying what to look for in coolants...it should either contain some chemicals or not contain certain chemicals...I forget which way it goes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another thing to help you out to keep air bubbles from causing overheating problems it to have the radiator be the highest point in the system. Meaning, try to fill in on an incline, like a sloped driveway. I have even jacked up the front of cars to make sure that the cap was the highest point, never have had a bubble problem that way.

·
Registered
201 Posts
s14roller said:
Eric, if you're real low then the car should be off and cool. Make a mix of antifreeze+water in a bottle and pour it into the rad. Then fill up the reservior to the Full line.

Antifreeze from walmart should honestly be fine. I believe they have Prestone Dexcool (red antifreeze) there. There's a write up on MKIV.com saying what to look for in coolants...it should either contain some chemicals or not contain certain chemicals...I forget which way it goes.
I don't think you should use Dexcool. There have been some lawsuits about engines getting harmed by that stuff if I'm not mistaken. Check it out this forum they also mentioned it someplace. I was going to use it (Dexcool) but when I heard about it on this forum I returned the stuff. The Dexcool I had was orange. Toyota red is the best. Green is pretty good too (Thats what I use). Watch for air pockets. Have fun! 215K and climbing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts