Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a good adjustabe fuel pressure regulator to fit the stock rail, can you guys send me in the right direction so I don't have clearance issues. Which one fit our cars and are dependable? Thanks;)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Here is the complete part list for my solution, installed last year.

Aeromotive Regulator A1000
Tomei Regulator adapter No. 1 #185106 (blue part in pic)
Tomei #8 Elbow 1/8 NPT # 185104 (blue part in pic)

Powerhouse Racing Fuel Dampener Bypass PHR #01011202
PHR Regulator Bracket ( attaches to available mounting points on intake mani) PHR # 01011204

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! What fuel hose (branded black) did you use and how long is it? Where you able to get richer afr's with this setup? Say from 12.4 at WOT down to 11.3 ?

Here is the complete part list for my solution, installed last year.

Aeromotive Regulator A1000
Tomei Regulator adapter No. 1 #185106 (blue part in pic)
Tomei #8 Elbow 1/8 NPT # 185104 (blue part in pic)

Powerhouse Racing Fuel Dampener Bypass PHR #01011202
PHR Regulator Bracket ( attaches to available mounting points on intake mani) PHR # 01011204

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The black braided line is about 18 - 20" and runs to the left side of the regulator in the picture. another black braided line comes out the bottom of the regulator with a fitting, and this second line is also about 20" long and attaches to the metal stock fuel return line in the general vicinity of the fuel filter. CPR installed this for me, so I am not sure about the fittings used, but I am sure would be widely available.

The other fuel mod I did at the same time, was install a Walbro 400 lph pump. These things together got me a solid increase in fuel, but I wouldn't count on that without doing the pump too. My guess is you wouldn't be able to get much advantage out of the aftermarket regulator and running a bit higher pressure, without a pump to support it.

The only numbers I can give you about how much difference these mods together made, is that on bone stock fuel system I was running up to 90 % inject duty cycle at 375 whp BPU, after the mods my inj duty cycle dropped to 84% at 535 whp.

Brian

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Brian, very nice setup!
Does anyone else have afpr setups on the stock rail?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to go with a Weldon FPR part #A2040-281-A-120 to use with my bpu supra TT with Bosch 044 pump. Can someone chime in and tell me if the parts listed above are all I would need to install it? Thank you:)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The black braided line is about 18 - 20" and runs to the left side of the regulator in the picture. another black braided line comes out the bottom of the regulator with a fitting, and this second line is also about 20" long and attaches to the metal stock fuel return line in the general vicinity of the fuel filter. CPR installed this for me, so I am not sure about the fittings used, but I am sure would be widely available.

The other fuel mod I did at the same time, was install a Walbro 400 lph pump. These things together got me a solid increase in fuel, but I wouldn't count on that without doing the pump too. My guess is you wouldn't be able to get much advantage out of the aftermarket regulator and running a bit higher pressure, without a pump to support it.

The only numbers I can give you about how much difference these mods together made, is that on bone stock fuel system I was running up to 90 % inject duty cycle at 375 whp BPU, after the mods my inj duty cycle dropped to 84% at 535 whp.

Brian
Hey Brian, I'm a bit confused without seeing it, you said you have a second line that comes out the bottom of the regulator that is also about 20" long and attaches to the metal stock fuel return line in the general vicinity of the fuel filter. Doesn't the Powerhouse Racing Fuel Dampener Bypass line go to that end of the fuel filter?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You are correct, the upstream end of the dampener bypass line attaches to the fuel filter, the other end attaches to the input end of the stock fuel rail. This is the supply side.

Then for the return side, first braided line comes out of the return end of the fuel rail, and ends at the left side of the regulator. The second braided line comes out of the bottom of the regulator, and runs to the stock metal return line, which is not the fuel filter line, but is nearby in the "vicinity" as in "next to", the fuel filter/supply line.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I decided to go with a Weldon FPR part #A2040-281-A-120 to use with my bpu supra TT with Bosch 044 pump. Can someone chime in and tell me if the parts listed above are all I would need to install it? Thank you:)
I am sure you will need the two blue tomei parts that I referenced. (I bought them from Speed For Sale). You need those parts to adapt from the hole in the return side of the stock fuel line, created by removing the stock regulator, to your aftermarket line to the new regulator. When I was searching threads about this, I found that people had sometimes bought other non-tomei parts that had the right threads but couldn't quite clear getting past nearby stock components. That small blue elbow/L shaped tomei piece is one solution that definitely gets the job done.

After the blue pieces , its just a matter of picking hose that has no fitting at one end, and has the right fitting to attach to your Weldon at the other. Then your last need is where you mount the Weldon. I found that some brands of fuel regulators have the right attachment points to use that PHR bracket , and others do not. For example, I had originally bought a Tomei regulator, but it didn't match up to the PHR bracket, which I wanted to use as the best solution for locating an aftermarket regulator. So I changed to the Aeromotive for that reason. I don't know about the Weldon.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all your info so far sir. Can you tell me what I do with the factory vacuum sensing hose coming off the oem regulator?? Also where did you buy your 2 black fuel hoses?

You are correct, the upstream end of the dampener bypass line attaches to the fuel filter, the other end attaches to the input end of the stock fuel rail. This is the supply side.

Then for the return side, first braided line comes out of the return end of the fuel rail, and ends at the left side of the regulator. The second braided line comes out of the bottom of the regulator, and runs to the stock metal return line, which is not the fuel filter line, but is nearby in the "vicinity" as in "next to", the fuel filter/supply line.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The aftermarket regulator needs the vacuum source too. The stock hose is just moved to the nipple on the top right of my Aeromotive unit, as seen in the pic above.

The two black hoses you are asking about, I had not yet purchased when I had Cody Phillips install these parts. So I don't know what brand he had lying around. I don't think it matters, all you need is two identical hoses, buy each maybe 3 feet long each for 1 foot of over kill, each 1 end of plain fuel hose to add a worm gear clamp to, you can cut this end to match correct length later, and the other end whatever threaded fitting mates to the in/out threads of your Weldon.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

"The second braided line comes out of the bottom of the regulator, and runs to the stock metal return line, which is not the fuel filter line, but is nearby in the "vicinity" as in "next to", the fuel filter/supply line"

Next time your under your Supra, would you mind snapping a picture of the end where it connects to the stock metal return line near the fuel filter? I would like to see what -AN fitting I need. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
"The second braided line comes out of the bottom of the regulator, and runs to the stock metal return line, which is not the fuel filter line, but is nearby in the "vicinity" as in "next to", the fuel filter/supply line"

Next time your under your Supra, would you mind snapping a picture of the end where it connects to the stock metal return line near the fuel filter? I would like to see what -AN fitting I need. Thanks!
It is not an AN fitting at that end; just a bare hose with hose clamp. That is why the two hoses you need are the same - AN fitting at one end to screw into the Weldon; plain hose at the other to use a clamp on.

Here is a pic. This is looking straight down from the brake booster in the rear of the driver's side engine area. The front of the car is towards the bottom of the pic. In the center of the pic is the rod that comes from the steering wheel. Just under and to the left of the steering rod, you can see the braided black hose with a bright silver hose clamp - this is the connection to the stock return line. The other end of the same hose attaches to the bottom of the aftermarket regulator. You can also see the braided silver PHR fuel dampener bypass piece. This silver line, has AN fittings at both ends. In the picture, the end that is more distant, small and blurry, is connecting to the fuel filter just out of sight, under the steering rod. Then in the pic where the silver braided piece is big and passes to the upper left corner of the pic, it is heading to the input side of the stock fuel rail. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Brian, your pics and insight have been super helpful. I'm hoping once I install everything I see low 11's AFR's at WOT :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts