Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, so please dont tell me to search for it. I didnt find what I was looking for.

I recently bought a modded MKIV. The car is a single, with HKS 264 cams. I noticed earlier today that the cam gears arent zeroed out like I had always heard to do when installing aftermarket cams. I dont remember the settngs off the top of my head, but something like -2, +4 (int, exh) comes to mind. Should I go out and reset them to 0 degrees, or is there any purpose in having them set like that?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Only way to really test it is to dyno tune it. That way they are adjusted correctly. Most people do however zero them out with cams.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know if he had them dyno tuned or not.. I'll get in touch with him and find out :) I guess that gives me something to do next week if he didnt have them dyno tuned and just set them that way for fun :lol:

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
go dyno the car as is....then do another run with the cam gears set to zero. see which setting makes more power and you can decide from there.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to the guy who I bought the car from.. He said with them zeroed out the car made like 5-10 more rwhp.. but with them set as they are, the car lost the 5-10 more rwhp up top but made 5-10 rwhp more in the midrange. Cant decide what I would rather have. I guess I'll see for myself when I go dyno again :)

·
Vengeance is mine
907 Posts
If he degreed the motor the cam gears would probably be offset from 0, depends on how thorough of a job he did on installing them, When I built my motor I degreed the cams/motor be in perfect "time" if you can dig it up Twinsturbo did a series on why/how to degree a motor properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts