Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a new set of adjustable cam gears, and was curious what everyone recommended? The market is a lot different than it was 5 or 10 years ago, not as many options. The Powerhouse ones looked interesting, with the available adjustment kit and locking tabs for each degree.

Looking for function over form as the cam cover is always on. Would be nice if someone made ones with steel teeth, as the aluminum always wear out eventually.

I have ran HKS gears the last 18 years. While they held the adjustment just fine, they are finally wearing down a little - mostly the exhaust gear. I guess that one takes the most wear since the belt comes around on that side.

Thanks,
Al

·
Super Moderator
10,411 Posts
Al,

You can't go wrong with the PHR cam gears but another alternative you may want to consider are the Titan cam gears. I have them on my red car and they have treated me well over the years.

Ken.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like Titan, can't beat the price.

That's one thing I'll say about my HKS V1 gears - lots of information on there - tick marks for 1, 5, advance, retard, etc. The current trend appears to have one reference tick mark, and that's it. It's nice to have a quick reference while adjusting, instead of having to think about which way is advance, retard, etc.

No more Unorthodox cam gears for 2JZ from what I can tell.

Al

·
Boost Junkie
12,489 Posts
I believe the PHR cam gears use a steel teeth as do the Titan ones. I've seen some broken Titan gears as well. I run the Titan, but I do have to say I am a bit cautious about recommending them due to the broken gears that turn up from time to time. Make sure you get the Titan specific ARP cam bolt.

I'll eventually switch to the PHR as I like the functionality of the locking adjustability.

Steve

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, I might as well keep using my HKS ones. They have been reliable, just getting worn.

A broken cam gear is unacceptable. Everything I have seen has said billet aluminum. Titan doesn't list a bolt for it. PHR does, $25 each, lol! For all the bells and whistles, you are over $500.

Al

·
Boost Junkie
12,489 Posts
You just need to use the ARP bolts that TItan has on their website. The washer is slightly smaller in diameter than the stock one.

Steve

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But if they have had problems with the gears, I can't run that one. They don't mention anything about bolts, have not yet found them. You'd think if it was important, they would try to sell you those with the purchase of cam gears.

One issue is the hole for the cam dowel pin is a large "slot". I don't see how the gear could properly align with that much slop. Unless it just appears that way in the picture.

Al

·
Boost Junkie
12,489 Posts
Yea, mine didn't have any slop. I have GSC S1 cams.

Steve

·
Registered
261 Posts
Went from Titan to PHR for few reasons: Never heard of a broken PHR unit, 2 of the Titan gear adjustment screws came loose over time, PHR locker design makes it impossible to lose timing degrees, and lastly looks because i have a clear cam gear cover. If at all relevant im running GSC S2's.

·
iSPOOL
1,318 Posts
I believe the PHR cam gears use a steel teeth as do the Titan ones. I've seen some broken Titan gears as well. I run the Titan, but I do have to say I am a bit cautious about recommending them due to the broken gears that turn up from time to time. Make sure you get the Titan specific ARP cam bolt.

I'll eventually switch to the PHR as I like the functionality of the locking adjustability.

Steve
Steve,
Is there much of a difference with the Version 2 Titan cam gears vs their original ones? I have the original Titan cam gears but when I eventually get my GSC 1 camshafts on my second engine I was going to get new cam gears as well. They are also $100 vs $156 for PHR.
Is PHR still the preferred choice between the two?

·
Boost Junkie
12,489 Posts
The PHR are $230 each when you add the options. Still worth it if you ask me. Not sure about the different version Titan camshaft gears.

Steve

·
Registered
825 Posts
I run the Titan V2 they are very nice quality. You cant beat the price. Im sure the PHR ones are top notch as most of the products seems to be.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I just picked up a set of the Titan V2's. The stock bolt doesn't work like they said it would, the washer is too large. I asked for a part # for ARP bolts when I called - could not find anything with his number, or close to his number, and also looked at every single part they sold for the 2JZGTE, no bolts for the cam gears.

Also, the profile of the gear does not match the profile of the T-Belt. The gear has more of a V-notch, whereas the belt is a U-notch. You can see daylight between the belt and gear. This is more of an ornamental gear - something you would put on a display engine.

I originally was leaning towards the PHR's, but if you drop one of those bolts/tabs down in the timing cover while adjusting them on the car, it would make for a really bad day. God forbid if you're away from home.

Al

·
Boost Junkie
12,489 Posts
I'll take pictures of my bolts and will post them up today.

STeve

1 - 18 of 18 Posts