Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone played around with different settings with their gears? What did you find best for overall performance?

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
I wonder if its possible to just get ONE adjustable cam gear for the exhaust and leave the intake alone?

would that make any difference?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your answers guys. It's just the kind of info I was looking for .I quess all the other people that buy them just use them straight up and waste their money or it's a big secert that they don't want to share.

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
Every--EVERY motor will be different. 3* advance on intake a 1-1.5* retard on exhaust for the current motor.

unorthodox racing suggests 2-3 retard on exhaust and 1-2 degrees advance on the intake.

im not quite following you. am i able to use ONE adj cam gear for the exhaust? or do I need both?

as for the stock cam gear, should I move one tooth to the left of align mark on the exhaust cam and one tooth to the right of align mark on the intake cam?

right now both tooth (ex and in) are one tooth to the right and it caused my cps to go out of time for the ignition timing.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
as long as your getting one, get another so you can get the max out of the adj. cam gears and quit trying to cheap out

<l><l>

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
Any adjustments made to the exhaust cam timing will impact ignition timing. You MUST re-adjust ignition timing whenever you change the exhaust cam timing. Cam gears themselves are relatively cheap BUT the time and expense needed to properly tune them (dyno time) makes them prohibitive for some people. If you are buying adjustable cam gears just for the bling factor then I can not help you. You will not gain any power if you run stock gears BUT improperly set adjustable cam gears can cause you to loose power and all sorts of drivability problems. I would not list cam gears as a standard "mod". They are more for people that have radical turbo changes or that don't mind spending a few hours of dyno time setting them properly. Granted, adjustables do look cool but you'll save money and aggravation if you just grab some chromed ones off of EBAY if you just want the bling.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dean,I am not into the bling thing. I asked this question because most of my engine building has been domestic cam in block V8's.I say most because the only non V8 has been my 7MGTE.
I use to racing 1/ 2 mile dirt track and you could change how the motor responded out off the corners and down the straight with cam timing. advance more bottom end , retard more top end.I rebuilt my 7m two years ago.and put 6k on it that summer as my daily drive.
Didn't have any reliablity issues only a couple small problems . Last year a change of job kept me from driving it at all, 0 miles . now that the motors is well broke in I want to start some upgrades. Hoping to take it to Watkins Glen and possibly Pocono and run the road coures So I am looking for info to find out if the 7M would respond the same.

·
Beats and Rhythm
2,732 Posts
Messing with cam timing or "phasing" is something that the novice does not need to do without reading some good tech articles out of any hot rod magazine.

Just retarding the cam timing is not the only way, you must adjust the ignition timing as well!

Its like a husband-wife thing. You cant have the perfect baby without the two. LOL

All your doing is trying to squeeze a little more fuel/air into the combustion chamber all without pre-ignition ( detonation) or melting a piston from running to lean (advancing the timing on a turbo motor).

Or you can put some race fuel in the mix, and even run stock igntion/cam timing and put more boost in the chamber.

I would say get an Apexi ITC ( ignition timing controller ). its alot easier than fooling with the CPS and having only ONE set degree of ignition timing. That little device allows like 5 or 6 different rpm increment ignition timing maps! Much like an SAFC is to fuel.

-jonathan

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
simann said:
Messing with cam timing or "phasing" is something that the novice does not need to do without reading some good tech articles out of any hot rod magazine.

Just retarding the cam timing is not the only way, you must adjust the ignition timing as well!

Its like a husband-wife thing. You cant have the perfect baby without the two. LOL

All your doing is trying to squeeze a little more fuel/air into the combustion chamber all without pre-ignition ( detonation) or melting a piston from running to lean (advancing the timing on a turbo motor).

Or you can put some race fuel in the mix, and even run stock igntion/cam timing and put more boost in the chamber.

I would say get an Apexi ITC ( ignition timing controller ). its alot easier than fooling with the CPS and having only ONE set degree of ignition timing. That little device allows like 5 or 6 different rpm increment ignition timing maps! Much like an SAFC is to fuel.

-jonathan
Main problem with the Apex ITC is that it is not boost/vacuum referenced. To my knowledge only the HKS EGC was boost referenced. You can set up the ideal ignition advance while under boost but then mileage and off boost performance will suffer. Vice versa--if you set the map for off boost mileage/performance then you will detonate or worse when in boost. The MSD Boost Timing Master retards ignition a set amount per pound of boost. In all honesty though I consider the MSD BTM a pile of crap and it would be somewhat difficult to make work on distributorless ignition. Jacobs BoostMaster had a completely seperate ignition curve when in boost. Worked pretty well but they are no longer made and rare. You would be better off getting a stand alone ignition computer instead of a piggyback.

Anyway--cam timing will move the power around more so than "create" more power. If you hit the motor's sweet spot just right with the timing and what the intake/exhaust are tuned for then you will see an increase in power which is why you really need to speed time on a dyno to set it up properly.

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
turbodhbar said:
Thanks Dean,I am not into the bling thing. I asked this question because most of my engine building has been domestic cam in block V8's.I say most because the only non V8 has been my 7MGTE.
I use to racing 1/ 2 mile dirt track and you could change how the motor responded out off the corners and down the straight with cam timing. advance more bottom end , retard more top end.I rebuilt my 7m two years ago.and put 6k on it that summer as my daily drive.
Didn't have any reliablity issues only a couple small problems . Last year a change of job kept me from driving it at all, 0 miles . now that the motors is well broke in I want to start some upgrades. Hoping to take it to Watkins Glen and possibly Pocono and run the road coures So I am looking for info to find out if the 7M would respond the same.
Very cool. Advancing or retarding both intake/exhaust cam will move the power around a bit but becuase the stock 7M cams are incredibly mild with little to no overlap (depending on cam timing) you can really increase the power band by changing the timing individually. Good luck and please report back how you do!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts