Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the California section and got no replies, so I'm trying here.

I am preparing to the do an upgraded fuel system on my MKIII, including a larger fuel pump, Lexus AFM, 550 cc injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Luckily the smog tech can't see the pump and the AFM and injectors look stock, but certainly the FPR will be noticeable. I searched the California ARB's website and I could not find any smog approved FPRs. So what do you guys do before a smog check? If I install the stock FPR, won’t the increased fuel flow from the upgraded fuel pump blow out the stock FPR and cause the car to run rich? Does anyone make a stealth FPR that mounts in the stock location on the fuel rail?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
you can run the stock fpr with an upgraded pump...i hope.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I don't think you would blow out the stock FPR. Just drill out the J-tube. You may be able to tune the car properly with just the AFM screw.

Funny how they outlaw the parts you need to make your car run properly when modified.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chevyeater-on-sf said:
I don't think you would blow out the stock FPR. Just drill out the J-tube. You may be able to tune the car properly with just the AFM screw.
And that's the other thing, I don't have the extended length screw for the Lex AFM. Will I need it? I do have an S-AFC, but it only makes adjustments during open loop, right?

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
if you want to run upgraded inj and pump on the stock regulator you need to bypass the j fitting and turn base fuel pressure down. as far as the lex screw- you dont need it. just adj the stock. you may consider backing the stock screw out some, may not be nec tho. the main concern is when upgrading the pump the stock regulator and esp the j fitting will back up the fuel and cause even higher pressure which will cause an overly rich condition. so like i said- no j fitting, back down base fuel pressure, maybe adjust the lex screw out some. be advised with it setup this way stay outta boost. dont want to over do it and run lean.

good luck

dave

edit: duh. i shouldnt try to work, eat and post on here at the same time. obviously you cant turn base fuel pressure down if you are using stock regulator. disregard that part. the rest of it will hold true tho.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
paddlenbike said:
And that's the other thing, I don't have the extended length screw for the Lex AFM. Will I need it? I do have an S-AFC, but it only makes adjustments during open loop, right?
You shouldn't need the long screw with the S-AFC. I don't think the S-AFC is smog legal either, easier to hide I guess :D . It will make changes in closed loop but you have to keep in mind the effect of the closed loop operation of the TCCS. They can work together or against each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts