Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, many members have gotten away with tastefully advertising their business in their avatars and signatures. But in order to help offset forum costs, Supraforums will soon be having paid advertising in certain sections (banners like the MVP one above -- NOT pop-ups). This means we will now be strictly enforcing the no business advertising policy. If you have a link to your business in your signature and/or avatar, please remove it. If you would like to advertise on Supraforums, the link is on the bottom of nearly every page. And on a side note, please refrain from posting links to competing forums. Thank you for your understanding and prompt attention.

PS The complete list of forum rules can be seen here.

9. You may not advertise a link to a business website of any kind in your signature or your avatar. You may not post a number to your business or your e-mail address to your business if this business pertains to the automotive aftermarket industry in any way. This is all forms of advertising and if you want to advertise contact us by e-mail. The link is on the bottom of virtually EVERY PAGE! Advertising in your signature and/or avatar, unless you are a paid advertiser with SupraForums.com, will result in your IMMEDIATE AND PERMANENT BANNING.

10. You may not advertise another direct competing forum to SupraForums in your signature or avatar. Advertising a direct competing forum in your signature and/or avatar will result in your IMMEDIATE AND PERMANENT BANNING.

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
And on a side note, please refrain from posting links to competing forums.
I am completely understanding that MVP wants to protect their market... but it's disappointing when we have to consider other forums as "competing"... esp when trying to direct someone to a place where answers might be found to a particular Q. This has been "subtly" filtered for awhile anyhow... so it's nothing new I suppose. Ah well.... so much for one big happy Supra family. The realities of money, money, money.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I understand that completely. Hell I moderate another Supra forum, and frequent two others. But I'm just passing on the info from the upper-ups so there will be no misunderstandings in the future.

G

·
Why block things like billet valve covers? MVP doesn't even sell something like that. I can understand when it's something that MVP sells but if they don't sell it, how are they losing?

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
:agreed:

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
So if someone posts asking which spark plug wires they should get and I reply that whoever.com (a business but not MVP) is a good source for spark plug wires because they have good prices and good service is that not allowed even if I have no relation to "whoever" other than as a customer?

EDIT - I'm asking because I really want to know.

·
fabricator
84 Posts
is it considered advertising when i will make absolutely no profit for the items im trying to get out? just getting them out for what they will cost to make? come on man?....

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
I think it's just an issue of clearing sales with the mods first. Since MVP does fork out a fortune to run this site they should have some rights to clear stuff that could interfere with business. In the past they seem to have been pretty good with allowing things that don't affect them. Yeah it's a PITA... but biz is biz. I'd have to confess I'd want the same rights if I forked out several thousand dollars a month to host a free site.

·
SUPRAF0RUMS TROLL
1,610 Posts
theguywiththesupra said:
is it considered advertising when i will make absolutely no profit for the items im trying to get out? just getting them out for what they will cost to make? come on man?....
nope they almost banned me permanently for that... dont do it

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would like to first apologize to any of the mods if I have stepped on anyone's toes. When I made my post about the MK3 coilovers, I never had any intention to harm MVP's profitability or business well being. I merely wanted to see if the idea was even worth the time. I didn't intend to sell the product through the forum, nor did I intentionally advertise. I admit I did quote a price and some other things that may have seemed like I was trying to push the product, but I did that at the time because I knew it would be a question that many people would ask. I just trying to cover all the bases. Having made similar posts in the past with no controversy, I didn't really think twice about this one. But I guess as ma71supraturbo said, things were not as strict before.

I totally understand that MVP must keep free advertising to zilch in order to offset the cost of maintaining this forum, it's the fundamentals of any business. The only upsetting part of this whole ordeal to me was that I wasn't given any kind of warning, not even a simple email to explain my banning. I think as part of the recent splash page informing members of forum changes, a warning of strict rule enforcement should have been emphasized.

I'm not complaining, just venting some thoughts a little. I want to thank those who tried warning me, even though I couldn't get the PM's in time, and for the mods who helped reinstate me. I won't resort to the mudslinging usually seen in these situations, I'll just move on from it. I won't name any names either. Ride on my Supra brothas.....

·
Registered
543 Posts
So I am guessing this goes for my poly motor mounts for the MKIIIs too. Even though MVP hasn't made or thought of making any? Just wondering.

Orin B Sr

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It does go for pretty much anything now, so before posting prices or links to your business please clear it with Dusty (v8 killer). Because businesses like a discount tire store, or select toyota dealer, are now going to be paying to put their banner up -- we can't let members advertise (otherwise why would a company like Tirerack pay to sponsor a wheel/tire section when they see people posting advertising for free in all sections?)

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Turb0robb said:
Hey...Its the 'merican way! It's all about the $$$...too bad. :(
Yeah, but this latest upgrade was probably very expensive. and the cost isn't being passed on to members

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
Yeah, but this latest upgrade was probably very expensive. and the cost isn't being passed on to members
Maybe instead of these advertising rules "they" could charge a membership fee like $10/year to offset the cost of the forum :).

G

·
I would pay a "subscription" fee...Backyard mechs like Orin B, JBLMK3, myself,etc. that make custom application parts, sell 'em not so much for profit but to help out the Supra community. Not everyone has access to the machining/tools/fab equiptment that some of us have. I understand where MVP is comming from but if they don't offer these parts and there is a demand(abiet small one)for custom goodies, is that really hurting MVP's profit?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We are working on what to do about small outfits who provide valuable products (jbl, orin, racetec, becauseican and many more). There will probably be a modest fee that won't break the bank like a banner, which would allow you guys to spread the word and talk about your products. For the time being, no advertising will be allowed without approval from Dusty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You may not advertise a link to a business website of any kind in your signature or your avatar. You may not post a number to your business or your e-mail address to your business if this business pertains to the automotive aftermarket industry in any way. This is all forms of advertising and if you want to advertise contact us by e-mail. The link is on the bottom of virtually EVERY PAGE! Advertising in your signature and/or avatar, unless you are a paid advertiser with SupraForums.com, will result in your IMMEDIATE AND PERMANENT BANNING.

You may not advertise another direct competing forum to SupraForums in your signature or avatar. Advertising a direct competing forum in your signature and/or avatar will result in your IMMEDIATE AND PERMANENT BANNING.
The way i read this is that's it's okay to refer somone to another site if it's in line with the questions they are asking. But it's not okay to have a link to yours or anyone elses business that apperes automaticaly in all your posts.

Is that right?

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If someone posts talking about a product or service you provide, I would just respond via email or PM to be safe. I do not see a problem if you are posting your personal experience with a certain product, although posts that sound like a plug will certainly draw attention from moderators/admins.

As for competing forums -- any forums catering to automotive performance, especially those that specialize in supras

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.