Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas...

I am going to be buying a '93 6-speed car then going single turbo. Here is what I have decided to do...

PHR street shortblock
PHR stage 2 single turbo
PHR stage 2 ported head
PHR stage 2 fuel system
FMIC
VPC, GCC3, Profec B
etc, etc, etc.

My question is...

What types of cams should I spec?
This is a street car... but I don't mind a little lope!

Thanks,
Jim

[ April 06, 2001: Message edited by: Jim Swantko ]

P

·
0 Posts
Get some 264's. Doesn't Jarrett grind his own cams...for a lot less than HKS charges?

later,
Jay

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jim,

please dont waste your money on the PHR stuff.. just buy the fuel kit, a t78 turbo kit, some jun cams, and a new short block. You can do all of your mods for the price you will pay for a shotblock and head from PHR, and have maybe 2% worse performance/reliablilty.

Dylan

·
3,148 Posts
Hey Jim, nice to see you decided to go with a Supra. I thought you sold your T78 RX7 and bought a Viper?

BTW Keep in mind that if you purchase a T78 there is no water cooled center section.

Later, Steve

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scorch...

Thanks for the input... but I feel very good about the price I am paying for the work.

Steve... I came very close to getting a '96 GTS. But the bang for the buck just wasn't there. I didn't like the thought of sitting behind a $12k hood either. I would have been too scared to drive the car! Besides... if I had gotten the GTS and been beaten by a Supra I would have been plunged into depression!!!!! hahaha

When I get the car back to NC, I'll be sure to come to Winston-Salem. There is a certain T-78 powered RX-7 in the are I'd like to run with ;-)

And don't worry about the T-78.. I think it's too big for what I will be using the car for.

Thanks for all the input,
Jim

B

·
0 Posts
When you're done you think you could give us a small write up on which Single turbo car you like more?. Good luck with your new supra :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jim,

best of luck, you have always had BADASS cars.. PHR stuff is awesome, it is just so rediculously expensive. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Dylan

·
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Scorch...

I'll let you know how the Supra turns out. Hopefully this car will be with me longer than the RX-7 was!

Jim

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
After seeing what most of the SP turbos have been doing lately, I would definitely give some consideration to one of those. Has Jarrett's car even been in the 9's since it was Ben Blalock's? Mark C. from N.J. probably has about 1/4 the upgrade money in his car and can bust fairly low 10's all day long with a SP63(Oh yeah, no N2O either).

·
Registered
54 Posts
If a T-78 is too big, I definately wouldn't spend any money on the motor. Just run the one you've got or get a factory shortblock. A ported head and cams is going to pick up very little on a small turbo and cause the car to spool slower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts