Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas...

I am going to be buying a '93 6-speed car then going single turbo. Here is what I have decided to do...

PHR street shortblock
PHR stage 2 single turbo
PHR stage 2 ported head
PHR stage 2 fuel system
FMIC
VPC, GCC3, Profec B
etc, etc, etc.

My question is...

What types of cams should I spec?
This is a street car... but I don't mind a little lope!

Thanks,
Jim

[ April 06, 2001: Message edited by: Jim Swantko ]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jim,

please dont waste your money on the PHR stuff.. just buy the fuel kit, a t78 turbo kit, some jun cams, and a new short block. You can do all of your mods for the price you will pay for a shotblock and head from PHR, and have maybe 2% worse performance/reliablilty.

Dylan

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Hey Jim, nice to see you decided to go with a Supra. I thought you sold your T78 RX7 and bought a Viper?

BTW Keep in mind that if you purchase a T78 there is no water cooled center section.

Later, Steve

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scorch...

Thanks for the input... but I feel very good about the price I am paying for the work.

Steve... I came very close to getting a '96 GTS. But the bang for the buck just wasn't there. I didn't like the thought of sitting behind a $12k hood either. I would have been too scared to drive the car! Besides... if I had gotten the GTS and been beaten by a Supra I would have been plunged into depression!!!!! hahaha

When I get the car back to NC, I'll be sure to come to Winston-Salem. There is a certain T-78 powered RX-7 in the are I'd like to run with ;-)

And don't worry about the T-78.. I think it's too big for what I will be using the car for.

Thanks for all the input,
Jim

G

·
When you're done you think you could give us a small write up on which Single turbo car you like more?. Good luck with your new supra :D

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Scorch...

I'll let you know how the Supra turns out. Hopefully this car will be with me longer than the RX-7 was!

Jim

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
After seeing what most of the SP turbos have been doing lately, I would definitely give some consideration to one of those. Has Jarrett's car even been in the 9's since it was Ben Blalock's? Mark C. from N.J. probably has about 1/4 the upgrade money in his car and can bust fairly low 10's all day long with a SP63(Oh yeah, no N2O either).

·
Registered
54 Posts
If a T-78 is too big, I definately wouldn't spend any money on the motor. Just run the one you've got or get a factory shortblock. A ported head and cams is going to pick up very little on a small turbo and cause the car to spool slower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.