Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seriously considering swapping a 7M-GTE engine into my 87 NA/MT hardtop for awhile now... Now now that I am finally in the position to support the project financially, I need to begin obtaining parts.

I need some guidance here as I have no experience with ebay - paypal, or any other internet venders / auctioners. I have a pretty comprehensive list of parts, but I have NO IDEA about how to even begin obtaining parts without beeing ripped off, scammed, etc...

I guess in short what I'm asking is where should begin looking?

thanks

·
Banned
2,386 Posts
well...i would go to the for sale section...and put a wanted to buy ad...Full 7mgte swap..take it from there...
7mgte engine
ecu
turbo gearbox..or auto tranny
full engine harness
i think driveshaft...not to sure about swaps..most likely driveshafts..i know i must be missing more..but i am sure you will have tons of replies in a few

·
Registered
78 Posts
like boosting89 said, u need the complete engine, harness, and a turbo ecu. you can use your current tranny, but the turbo 5spd tranny will hold up to more power. it depends what your goals are with the engine. if you are aiming for a 7m-gte with light mods, your tranny should work fine, but if you plan on making high hp go with a turbo tranny. weather you use the tranny you have now or not, definetly get a new clutch. intercooler w/ all the piping, turbo afm, downpipe, boost gauge, and probably some other things. try searching in your area for a parts car, or a complete turbo car for cheap that perhaps has bad paint, body damage etc. and isnt worth much in the car world.
finding a complete car to pull the engine out of is the way to go, at least thats my opinion :bigthumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finding a complete car to pull the engine out of is the way to go, at least thats my opinion
I definately agree with that. The only thing is that finding a good donor is hard, and having an extra shell around takes up a lot of space - which brings up another valid point. I could just buy a complete turbo car, but I'd hate to part with my black hardtop.

Too many things to consider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts