Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 1990 Supra Turbo that I think just threw a rod, so i'm rebuilding the motor. It has a stage 2 gutted turbo from turbochargers.com and nothing on the inside of the motor was replaced to handle the power. So i'm gonna pull it and wanted all your advice on what are the best parts for the money to have a quality engine when i'm done. I'm not going to use NOS or anything, just wanted to build it up around this turbo. Looking for 350-400rwhp.

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
First off lets make sure of what has happened to the motor what are the symptoms how is it running if it is? Figure out what has heppend to the motor and we will go from there.

Here is a good list of items you will want to make that motor capible of your power goals
*clevite 77 rod+main bearings
*ARP headstuds
*MHG HKS or cometic they make very good HG's
*Get the head and or block decked to be perfect so the new HG will seal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Car starts right up, but takes like 10 mins to warm up enough that the rpms get down from 1500rpms to 500-700rpm range......started knocking only @ about 2500rpms and real quiet, gradually got worse until it's really loud upon startup.
Can email you a vid so you can hear it.

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Nice pony you have there! I am restoring a 67 coupe at the moment it is gonna have a 302 that has been bored to 347 with a stroker kit in it. I am currently downloading the vid i will check it out and report back to you ASAP and well will make a parts list up for you to go by get a pen and pad ready LOL

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
Ok its rod knock so here is what i suggest pull the motor and rebuilt it right while you have it out MHG, ARP head studs, clevite 77 main and rod bearings have the head resurfaced so it will all seal up again. You will want to have the crank and rods reground aswell. Get a good gasket set and maybee some new rings and pistons depending on condition of them.
you should then be good to go If you need any help during the rebuild feel free to PM me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, thanks man..........sounds like a nightmare when you read some of the threads on here about MKIII rod knock :barf:

·
Workin' Man
445 Posts
Buxracing said:
Cool, thanks man..........sounds like a nightmare when you read some of the threads on here about MKIII rod knock :barf:

It' really not that bad. Just search alot and read up. Do it right the first time, keep a close eye on your oil level and you shouldn't have problems. :bigthumb:

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,952 Posts
mustangman05 said:
Ok its rod knock so here is what i suggest pull the motor and rebuilt it right while you have it out MHG, ARP head studs, clevite 77 main and rod bearings have the head resurfaced so it will all seal up again. You will want to have the crank and rods reground aswell. Get a good gasket set and maybee some new rings and pistons depending on condition of them.you should then be good to go If you need any help during the rebuild feel free to PM me.

Why pull it apart and use the same old shit you take out? What arre you looking for; long life rebuild, or short life do it in 20k rebuild. Get yourself a good set of pistons and NEW rings, hone that block, and make sure all the machining is done by an A+++ performance machinist. Don't go in there and go half ass. why does the blind always finds a way to help each other! :nutkickhi

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278963

Read this carefully!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts