Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not very good with audio systems, so I need some advice from the gurus here, I have an alpine head unit CDA-9825, two JL's fiberglass enclosed 8w3D4, and a set of infinity kappa 6.1 for the front. I will not be using the rears at all.
I also have an old school rockford fosgate 900w 2 channel punch 301m that I was planning on using for the JL's subwoofer. So what should I use for the kappa speakers. Is there a way to use a different amp that would be able to handle the subs and front speakers? or should I just get a separate one for the fronts, and which one should i go with? I am not trying to make it super loud, but looking for clear sound and clean bass, I usually listen to hip hop, r&b and reggaeton. Thanks

· Registered
11,198 Posts
you should look into a three channel amp, or even a four channel one that is bridgable for the subs. it all depends on the money you have to spend. running two seperate amps, one for the mids and highs and one for the subs is def more expensive and requires more work but you have better control over your system. with one amp, it is far easier for install and can be a bit more cost effective, depending on what amp you go with but you dont have as much flexibility and control over your setup. this is a loaded situation tho, you can go many ways, the best thing to do is start with you budget and decide based upon that. if you need any further help and if i can be of assistance, please dont hesistate to pm good. good luck with whatever you do.

Josh

· Getrag Gearhead
1,858 Posts
I'd get the Alpine PDX-5 . 5 channel amp and bridge the 4 channels into 2.

· Registered
3,578 Posts
I am not trying to make it super loud, but looking for clear sound and clean bass, Thanks
One important thing to remember when amp shopping is that ideally you'll want to buy an amp that has more power than the speakers need. Over-amping is better than under-amping. Nice, clean speakers will sound that way with clean power going to them (rather than "dirty" power going to them from an amp that's too small). On the same note, a larger amp supplying clean "RMS" power is healthier for the speaker than "max" power being delivered to them.

In a nutshell, buy and good quality amp that has more capability than your speakers need and then just set the gains on the amp somewhere lower than max to suit the speakers......as a result, this will provide nothing but "clean" power to the speakers, allowing them to maintain a clean sound even when the volume at the head unit is "cranked".

I suggest shopping the JL audio amps. I have the 300/4 amp (75 watts RMS per corner) and im only using about 1/2 the power from it because it's only on 5 1/4 inch speakers, heh. (although id like to move up to 6 1/2s eventually).

So remember....buy the best good-brand amp your budget can afford. Its a KEY part of your entire system. A nice head unit and/or nice speakers will NOT make up for a cheesy amp....so, keep your money in the amp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.