Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Twin Turbo cylinder head last July from a guy named Casper, right here on the supra forums. I planned on using it in a N/A to TT swap, but I had to wait until some life insurance money from my dad's death came in so I could finish buying the parts for the swap. I finally received my insurance money and now I am able to complete the project. Anyway, now that I am sorting out what all I need to complete the TT engine, I realized that I need camshaft bearing caps (See pics below). So, I called Jeff Watson at Champion Toyota to find out how much the caps would be. He tells me that you cannot buy the caps separate - you have to buy a whole new head - and that basically my head is useless.

My budget does not allow for such a major problem like this. Even though it has been about 8 months since I purchased the head, my first step was to contact Casper to find out where my caps were. I sent him a pm, and he read it but never replied. I figured this would happen. So I searched some salvage yards using car-parts.com and called the only 2 places that claimed to have TT Cylinder heads. No luck - both had sold the heads.

So now I am in a real jam and I need some help from you guys on the forums. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to solve this problem without buying an entire cylinder head? Any advice or direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
1996 Black N/A 5-Speed

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thats not good man. Those caps are made with the head to match precisely. Im not sure what you could do. What has Casper said?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just the thing. Casper hasn't replied to my message. I sent him one on the night of the 17th and, according to PM tracking, he read it the next day but did not reply. Guess I got screwed over.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sounds like you got screwed. I would continually pm him until he sends you something back. He should have the caps somewhere.

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
I would take you cams and GE cam caps and check the clearance with plastigauge. If the plastigauge is in specs then you don't need to have any adjustment made aside form valve clearance. Otherwise, you're best option is to take the head and GTE cams and the cam caps and bolts from your GE head to a machine shop and have them line honed. Once you get it back install the cams and plastigauge the cam and the caps to see that they are in specs. After that install the head and check for proper valve clearance. Make sure you adjust the valve clearance properly. And while you're at it install a new set of intake and exhaust valve seals.

Joe.

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
King_Rob said:
That's just the thing. Casper hasn't replied to my message. I sent him one on the night of the 17th and, according to PM tracking, he read it the next day but did not reply. Guess I got screwed over.
king rob....report this to the moderators n have banned!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sent him another pm and he got back to me. He said he is trying to contact the guy he bought it from. He said he sold me exactly what he had been sold. So, I guess I can only wait to see if he can get them.

Joe - That is really great advice. I was wondering if I could use my GE caps as a fix to the problem. If I can't get the original caps for this head, then I will definitely give the GE's a shot. Thanks a lot man.

-Rob
1996 Black N/A 5-Speed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts