Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ODS
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dont use the valve cover gaskets, they shrink, then leak badly...
Dont use the crank seal gasket, it will shrink, then leak... It shrank soo much you can use your finger to take it out, and you can spin it on the crank...
Dont use the head gasket (I didnt use it, but I would not trust it for long, its up to you really)...
And the spark plug valley cover peels...

Everything else in the kit seems to be working fine as of now...

SMo'

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
sounds like that kit shouldnt be used at all. If the crank seals leak, chances are the cam seals and oil pump drive will give out. Theres not a whole lot left that is ok by that point!

P

·
0 Posts
What was the make of the set? EBay has a variety - it may not be fair to paint them all with the same brush man.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
PoorBoy said:
What was the make of the set? EBay has a variety - it may not be fair to paint them all with the same brush man.
I got a few sets a few years ago, were labled AJUSA.... and I also had a Fel-Pro set... all were good.

I got 'em for around $20 each!!!!! Couldn't pass 'em up.. never seen 'em under $90 after that... 'cept for the Fel-Pro... I did pay $120 for that one...

·
Digital Dreamer
898 Posts
As far as cheap askets go, the two you mentionned, AJUSA and FELPRO are the best I know of other than getting a genuine Toyota set. I saw my mechanic using FELPRO so they are probably good, or else he wouldn't be in business for very long. They do command a higher price the nthe shitty ones tho.
eric

·
ODS
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Felpro is good stuff...

I forget which one I got, but it came from "street imports." Good thing I didnt use the turbo gaskets or anything, now that I look at them, they look like they are just paper, nothing special to them at all... Just thick grey paper that is very soft and flimsy... I did put a Titan 1.4mm head gasket, becuase I did not want to take any chances... The crank seal came out all hard and shrunken... Thing almost feels brittle, good thing I didnt use the rear main seal...

I am pretty much expecting the same thing out of the cam seals, but I am keepin' my fingers crossed for now...

SMo'

P

·
0 Posts
I picked up a set of Stone on eBay and had no problems - didn't use the HG though.

·
Registered
583 Posts
felpro is the man, they make awesome gaskets. When i use to own my turbo ford they made this one gasket for it that wud let pistons melt before it blew and costed less then a mhg for a supra.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts