Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, looking for some input here. I've been wanting a bike very badly for some time now. I'm not looking to dump a lot of cash into buying a new one or really even the going price for most used ones.

I had a friend who gave me the idea of buying a damaged one or salvage one and rebuilding it to ride for myself. I really liked the idea because of the potential cheap investment and the fact that it would be more of a toy for me to use without as much care going in to resale value, etc.

So, I'm looking for advice from anyone who has done this or has considered/researched doing this. Where is a good place to search for salvaged bikes? What would be a good modern sport bike platform to work with, ie. common sources for parts for rebuilding, cheap, etc. Looking for an injected sport bike, 600- 1 litre. I don't have a large preference, I have ridden a few CBR600's an R6 and R1 and loved them all. The biggest factor would be pricing. She's just a toy.

Suggestions, advice, etc.? Thanks!

·
They giggle
1,935 Posts
You'll spend more money rebuilding. Just finance a new one.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
think so? i had a friend who bought a CBR600 from insurance and rebuilt his for pretty cheap. id rather not finance a new one until i feel like im ready to put that kind of dedication into owning one as an investment

·
Registered
452 Posts
be careful if you buy a damaged bike. Since they're worth alot in parts it's hard to find good deals on wrecked ones. It's usually only worth it if you don't plan on rebuilding it 100%. All the fairings, brackets, bolts, etc you will need will add up quick. Price out replacement parts before you buy, you'll probably find that you're not really saving enough money to make it worth it

·
Registered
868 Posts
think so? i had a friend who bought a CBR600 from insurance and rebuilt his for pretty cheap. id rather not finance a new one until i feel like im ready to put that kind of dedication into owning one as an investment
PRobably got it dirt cheap since he bought it from the insurance company, most salvage bike places want way to much for the bikes. I would say look for a friend's bike who can't afford to buy it back from the insurance co and you would probably make out OK. With all of the chop shop operations selling shit on ebay you can usually pick up parts pretty cheap.
Check out www.argocycles.com
You might be better off buying a used race bike like previously stated.

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
the problem w/ rebuilding and putting back on road is it varys per state!

not up on bikes, but i would imagine there the same as a car?

i know newyork is very hard to do a rebuilt title
pa is a little easier, but people were braggin , so pa cracked down!
i had a connection for doing some vehicles, and it took me about 2 weeks to get the title in the mail, but if you do something wrong, or mess up on your forms it could takes months to get a title!

but i don't know about your state?
this is the biggest concern, fixing a bike you can never legally ride isn't going to do too much for you?
would only be good for a track bike!

i seem to always find deals on CL, check your area!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah looking around it seems like a lot of these wrecked bikes are very expensive considering their damage and what they would need. that's too bad, i will probably have to keep eye out for some local deals i guess. i cant believe they are charging within 1500-2000 for a salvage bike compared to a clear used one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts