Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in the market for a 6spd MKIV TT Supra for my daily driver.

I've been told to buy a non-VVTI model as these are easier to modify? Is this correct? From what year did these cars come with the VVTI engine?

As soon as I find & get the car I want, my immediate plans are to scrap the OEM TT configuration and go with a big single setup with 3"-4" down pipe. Haven't decided which single to go with yet, but probably be a PTE67, P-Trim, 0.84 A/R Turbine Housing. Perhaps even a GTQ Trim.

My aim is a quick spooling street turbo that will flow north of 750-800 fwhp.

If I can't obtain that with the PTE67, then perhaps I'll consider a slightly larger unit, like the PTE70 P-Trim.

I don't want the turbo to be a pig on the street and want to obtain FULL boost by ~4K RPM's and not run out of breathe in the upper RPM band.

I'll also be performing extensive head-work (porting, CAMs etc) with proper ARP fasteners, so I can raise the rev limit to around 8Krpms.

A few questions immediately come to mind:

1. Which single header system is the most reputable on the market?

2. Which manufacturer makes the best down-pipe exhaust system?

3. When aiming for such big HP, would one be required to upgrade the OEM EMS, or would piggy-back controllers suffice?

4. What type of clutch is best suited for street driving, that will hold that much HP?

Anyway, any advice you guys can provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
For one JDM supra for 98+ came with the vvt-i engine no US spe csupra ever came with the vvt-i TT.

I would recomend yo to upgrade to AEM.

Most single that reach 750-800WHP will be spooling full boost @ 4500rpm.

As to downpipe it's you disicion what you want ,you can go with one for Titanmotorsport or MVP or POWERHOUSERACING ,ect

·
Registered
590 Posts
youngm said:

BAHAHAHA

first of all supras are RWD you noob

:urowned: :lol:

second of all...SEARCH

you should make the car BPU on the stock twins and enjoy it and get used to the turbos and care for a turbo car and things of that such then slowly progress to a single turbo

all US supras are non vvti

a HKS or HKS style (SP) would be the best manifold

your best bet would be a T70 ball bearing turbo
..that would definatley reach your power expectations and if it does not quite spool fast enough, look into a nitrous spool up kit.

as for downpipe and midpipe...the WOTM is a very good piece (www.wotm.com)

piggy back things will suiffice but I would reccomend going to an AEM

and as for clutch, get the RPS CC or a tilton carbon

o and once more.....SEARCH!!!!

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
One thing at a time. Go BPU first for a while and then see how you like it. By the time you have the car and browse the forum more, you should have already answered your questions.

·
SUPRAS FOR LIFE
4,188 Posts
wow....did he say 750-800fwhp...oh no...n he wants it as his daily driver....u must be rich to have a mkiv as a daily driver!! plus wat kind of research have u done......apparently someone lied to u abt the fwd part.....or maybe u jus made a typing error...nah..i dont think so!! good luck makin a 750-800hp car....:)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
probably just a dreamer that can't even handle a 200 hp car yet
hehe...daily driver :eek:

jdmuscle said:
wow....did he say 750-800fwhp...oh no...n he wants it as his daily driver....u must be rich to have a mkiv as a daily driver!! plus wat kind of research have u done......apparently someone lied to u abt the fwd part.....or maybe u jus made a typing error...nah..i dont think so!! good luck makin a 750-800hp car....:)

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
I'll sell mine turn key - for the low-low price of $55,000.

·
Former Moderator
3,783 Posts
You should buy a beater car in addition to the Supra. With the kind of project you intend to make, it will be down getting worked on for at least a few months. :)

-Olivier

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
from what i read it seems you have some high goals in mind. but also have in mind that your going to be spending a lot of money. if you want to run that much hp (daily) prepare to spend in upwards of 10k to make it reliable and you might need a mechanic with you at all times if you dont do it the right way. take your time and search. these forums are loaded.

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
youngm said:
Hi,

I'm in the market for a 6spd MKIV TT Supra for my daily driver.

I've been told to buy a non-VVTI model as these are easier to modify? Is this correct? From what year did these cars come with the VVTI engine?

As soon as I find & get the car I want, my immediate plans are to scrap the OEM TT configuration and go with a big single setup with 3"-4" down pipe. Haven't decided which single to go with yet, but probably be a PTE67, P-Trim, 0.84 A/R Turbine Housing. Perhaps even a GTQ Trim.

If I can't obtain that with the PTE67, then perhaps I'll consider a slightly larger unit, like the PTE70 P-Trim.

I don't want the turbo to be a pig on the street and want to obtain FULL boost by ~4K RPM's and not run out of breathe in the upper RPM band.

I'll also be performing extensive head-work (porting, CAMs etc) with proper ARP fasteners, so I can raise the rev limit to around 8Krpms.

A few questions immediately come to mind:

1. Which single header system is the most reputable on the market?

2. Which manufacturer makes the best down-pipe exhaust system?

3. When aiming for such big HP, would one be required to upgrade the OEM EMS, or would piggy-back controllers suffice?

4. What type of clutch is best suited for street driving, that will hold that much HP?

Anyway, any advice you guys can provide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Words can not describe the feeling of disgust right now :rolleyes:

Please search

·
Registered
919 Posts
750-800rwhp is doable in a daily driven supra.. I have similar goals... but it definately does have it's down sides.. start saving $$$$$..lol

·
damn '02's...
649 Posts
No, but really you should definately look for a '96 TT 6spd, they are the easiest to mod, and easiest to get through emissions. You want the '96 6spd because it will hold more power, and the fuel system was upgraded from the factory.:)

·
4,109 Posts
Re: Re: ADVICE: Which MKIV to buy & mod?

supraman111 said:
BAHAHAHA

first of all supras are RWD you noob

:urowned: :lol:

It's possible that he meant flywheelhp...

·
1,020 Posts
QK94DAWG said:
No, but really you should definately look for a '96 TT 6spd, they are the easiest to mod, and easiest to get through emissions. You want the '96 6spd because it will hold more power, and the fuel system was upgraded from the factory.:)
:D yeh the 96 would be your best bet :bigok:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.