Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched to drag radials to run at the track. I have gone there once with them and i just don't know what i'm doing wrong, i have not had any great 60's yet, i have better 60's on street tires.
Can anyone give me some words of wisdom.
I'm sure this is a learning process but i could use some help

What RPM are you launching at?
Do you just dump the clutch?
How much do you heat the tires up?

Nittos-275/40
thanks

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nittos are just ok in my oppinion, and again thats JUST my oppinion. I prefer BF's but the launching technique is similar. usually (again depending on track conditions) I heat cycle the tires on the 1 and a half hour drive too the track, then 100 octane, then 15psi, then a pretty damn nasty burnout through 2ng gear (i donno prob about 8-10 secs) then stage and hold tach to abot 52-5400rpm, and go full throttle while preloading and slipping the clutch a bit.....Not sure if you really wanna listen to me cause I go through a clutch about every 6 months, but it has yeilded me many 11.4's and 11.5's on the stock twins.

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
Most people like the BFG's, I have had better luck with the BFGs as have most of my buddies that have switched from the Nittos to the BFG's. You can expect to run .1-.15 better 60ft with the Nittos and I have seen guys drop as much as .3 with the BFGs. This is just my experience though, others will have different opinions.

That being said you have several options. Heat them up well-6-10 seconds depending on how hot the track is and how well the surface is prepped.

Bring the revs up-how high-totally depends on the motor/turbo set up, suspension set up, and track stickiness, this will take some trial and error-take notes unless your memory is really good.

You can choose to either dump the clutch and modulate with the throttle until traction is found or feather the clutch and modulate the clutch until traction is found. The latter is easier to learn, but will result in more worn clutches.

It takes a lot of practice, but once you get it down, you usually don't forget.

Good luck,

Steve K.

·
Registered
907 Posts
not to highjack the thread but i have kuhmo's in the back now and they dont get any traction on my bpu. Also they get incredible amounts of wheel hop so any time i do burnouts like before i drag they just hop so i stop, will bfg's cure this?

sorry again about the thread

Mike

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Nittos are NOT as sticky as BFGs but they can actually be driven on the street and in the rain. With BFGs you have to swerve if the guy in front of you spits:D I daily drive 555Rs all Spring\Summer\Fall and switch when Winter comes.

At the track on Nitto DRs I burn then for about 15seconds after first getting them wet in the water box. I then lay it on the 2step at about 5K-5500, and when the lights come down I let it out smoothly but fairly quickly. 1.9 is VERY doable, maybe slightly better. ET Streets are good for 1.6s easily and I 2step at about 6500RPM with those:eek:

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
BLKMGK said:
With BFGs you have to swerve if the guy in front of you spits:D.
lol the BFG's don't sound too streetable. the Nitto's sound alot better for the street.

-Brett

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
neonafk said:
lol the BFG's don't sound too streetable. the Nitto's sound alot better for the street.

-Brett
Very true. Thye Nittos wear decent but pickup a ton of pebbles. The BFGs are more for track use as a "legal" <wink wink> DOT tire. If you want to hookup the BFGs ARE better and don't require as long a burnout but they wear and suck in the rain. Nittos are actually pretty good in the rain and I don't think twice about driving on them whenit's POURING:eek: They seem to stick well. When it gets colder they wheel hop like crazy though so I swap them off and store them until it gets warmer out :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts