Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a stock as a rock AE86 in decent shape that runs perfectly with every option still working. Still has the window sticker even. Paid $800 for it :)

What are some good sites or suggestions for it? My goal is a good auto-x car to learn on and just have fun with. I'd like to keep the entire project under $3k.

thanks

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
Mods:

-Watanabes
-Panda Paint Scheme
-APEX Twin Cam sticker
-Tofu Sign sticker
-Learn to drift and have Dad as Bunta.

-You wont lose a race, i guarantee it.

Pics? GTS, SR5? Color? Have fun with the car, they can be a blast.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
8,181 Posts
damn james. for having probably the fastest ride in springfield, u'll also have the honor to own a slow ride. well at least the ricers can keep up with you in that car untill you hit the corners.

atif...........

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
/waits for quick to show up.
:lol: You have my number, brother.

screw club4ag as it's full of fanboys and folks who can't be understood. Let's plan out the project here.

1 - GT-S?
2 - LSD?
3 - Suspension is your top priority?
4 - Are you wanting to autox competitively?

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damn james. for having probably the fastest ride in springfield, u'll also have the honor to own a slow ride. well at least the ricers can keep up with you in that car untill you hit the corners.

atif...........

slow for sure! I think this thing is lucky to hit 60mph in a day!

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
slow for sure! I think this thing is lucky to hit 60mph in a day!
:dunno: Bone stock I could hit 107mph at the end of the front straight at PR (before needing to brake)... which is at least 23mph slower than the Supra.

But the corner speed is much much higher.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
If you want to setup the car nicely for $3k you're not going to be getting into anything serious.

Here's what I'd recommend to start:
- springs (TRD Japan probably)
- shocks (Bilsteins if you can find the correct fitment, etc. otherwise something short-stroke)
- wheels and good tires (recommend 15x8 with a 205/15/15 if you want to drive "grip" and don't mind massaging a few things to remove rubbing)
- better brake pads (recommend something like the Porterfield R4S)

With just those mods you'll have a pretty fun car on the cheap. You'll probably find that you'll need to do a LOT of maintenance on the car.

A lot of fanboys want JDM parts like crazy for the AE86, but that's completely unnecessary and often their part selection is poor. If you research and make good decisions on what you purchase you'll be able to get a lot of bang for the buck.

...and I suspect that you'll probably get very bored with the stock power output, which will lead you down the path to a 20v or F20C swap. ...but that's another story.

HTH
-Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts