Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SF Zombie hunter
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know 4AGE is pretty much bulletproof, i saw a local one for sale and it has over 300.000km on it. Good idea or not? i need some 4AGE expert here.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I own a 4age in an aw11...I don't see a lot of first gen mr2s over 225k....a lot between 100 and 200k...although the HG issue isnt as "declared" as it is with mk3 supras, I think the 4age does have headgasket issues as they tend to go on these cars.

whats the price of the car? that should be your major determining in whether or not you should buy...

but as for the engine, if it has been "somewhat" maintained, then it will be fine, it's a toyota, and its also a 4age...

i don't think my post was very helpful...sorry

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
Had one. Very, very reliable even though it stopped like shit and felt like what is is, a boring sedan. Mine had 250k miles (around 400k km) on it. So, since it has a 4AGE, and not a 4AF/FE I'm guessing it's a GT-S.

Problems with these cars are going to be the same as any older vehicle. Do a compression test , listen for strange noises, check the fluids, blah, blah, blah, and you should be fine. It's a low compression, low performance car, so any problems that aren't apparent probably aren't there.

·
SF Zombie hunter
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well for only 1000dollars for a AE92 GTS so i think is a pretty good deal to me, I will check the compression for sure before i buy it. thanks for the input

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
MR2ninja said:
I own a 4age in an aw11...I don't see a lot of first gen mr2s over 225k....a lot between 100 and 200k...although the HG issue isnt as "declared" as it is with mk3 supras, I think the 4age does have headgasket issues as they tend to go on these cars.

Almost all older toyotas do have a HG issue. It's the achilles heel of the company. Fortunately, it's an easily detectable and remedied problem.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
2damaxsupra said:
well for only 1000dollars for a AE92 GTS so i think is a pretty good deal to me, I will check the compression for sure before i buy it. thanks for the input
that seems somewhat high for that many miles...if the engine is running well and looks promising, I might pay that price but i dunno...

·
Registered
976 Posts
my friend has an AE92 with about 300,000km on it and the only problems have been with the steering. never had any problems with the engine or any other running gear. there's even minimal rust and the interior still looks showroom quality. they're great little cars and i wouldn't mind having one for a DD.

the 1K pricetag sounds about right, too. my friend got his for 4K 3 years ago and it was in mint condition.

D

·
0 Posts
I have an 88 fx16 gts, with a red top 4AGE with TVIS. Never had any problems with it at all.

Take some pics and post them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts