Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AEM Cam Gear Question ????? Anyone.........Anyone....???

I'm having a brand new block, oil pump, etc... put in my 94 TT and I was wondering if I should have 1 AEM cam gear installed while all this stuff is apart. One of the guys doing the job has this AEM cam gear and will give it up at a good price.
The reason I ask is...
1) Unorthodox makes a higher quality set of cam gears(should I wait and get them?)
2) I can use one aftermarket cam gear and one stock cam gear, right? ( -4 on the exhaust and stock intake)???????

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Go with HKS cam gear or gears and yes you can get away with one cam gear but I think it's -3 with one cam gear. Check out http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/cam_gear/install/index.html
I still have yet to see what mph the cam gears will give me, when I get in a good run. Silverbullet from MD picked up to 124 traps with the help of cam gears. Oh don't neglect to get a new O2 sensor while he's in there.

94TT BPU+
11.62 @ 121.11

B

·
0 Posts
On our cars the brand of cam gear doesnt matter at all. If the gear slips nothing will happen. Just set it back and torque it down better. I'd get both cam gears though. I've messed with mine several times and my best setup so far is -6exhaust and +1 intake. Get both as cheap as possible.

Z

·
0 Posts
BrianTT said:
Go with HKS cam gear or gears and yes you can get away with one cam gear but I think it's -3 with one cam gear. Check out http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/cam_gear/install/index.html
I still have yet to see what mph the cam gears will give me, when I get in a good run. Silverbullet from MD picked up to 124 traps with the help of cam gears. Oh don't neglect to get a new O2 sensor while he's in there.

94TT BPU+
11.62 @ 121.11
which O2 sensor are you talking about? is it the one goes into the exhaust manifold after the turbo? does it really make that much differnece?

J

·
0 Posts
The only way the AEM cam gears will slip is if they were not tightened properly (obviously any brand will slip under those conditions). We have proved this time and again.

Jason S.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The front O2 sensor,is the one you want to change. The second is not realy used unless your running a converter.

94TT BPU+
11.62 @ 121.11

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.
Here is some information from another thread that just made this "cam gear thing" a bit more crazy.

What most people back in the day found to be a good conservative baseline (+1 i / -3 e) is actually indeed measured in MARKS. All the cam gears are marked in single cam degree increments. The confusion exists because the crank is rotating twice as fast as the cam, meaning that 1 cam degree = 2 crank degrees.

So, it's -4ish MARKS on the exhaust side w/ the AEM gears? Oh well, I can always go back and adjust them when I get some dyno time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts