Supra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***Issue has been resolved***

I have a AEM Twin Power CDI that has worked great for the last 5 years in conjunction with the AEM EMS v1. Just recently, the car started to run rough. It would idle fine but on part throttle it would back fire. Trying to do a pull on the highway the power just died under boost and the car show out tons of flames out the exhaust. At this point, the car would barely drive.

As a troubleshooting measure I disconnected the AEM CDI as I have the stock ignition connectors tucked away under the spark plug cover. So I went ahead and unplugged the CDI coil pack connectors and plugged in the stock ignition. Started the car and it idled but of course, no ignition amplification on wasted spark = no boost.

I sent the AEM CDI back to AEM for repair and I just received the replacement CDI unit back. I plugged it in and re-ran the positive and negative wires directly to the battery, and left the white wire unplugged as it was on the previous installation.

I changed the coil pack connectors to the CDI and started the car up. It runs but very, very rough. It barely idles, and the wideband shows 19-20 and I can barely rev when pressing the gas. Not sure if the timing is way off from the CDI being plugged in or if this "fixed" CDI is fried again, or if I have something else wrong going on with the car?

Any help is appreciated!

Mike

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, same/similar issues still. Received a replacement CDI, car ran OK for first 15min and then same exact problems. I'm pretty sure whenever the CDI is connected, the ignition timing is wandering at higher RPMs. However with the bypass plug in, the car runs fine and ignition timing is locked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts