·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Previously posted here:

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,21891.0.html

But advised to ask here.

Does anybody have any experience of integrating a datalogger/digital dash with AEM?

I'm looking into what sensors can be plugged in to the AEM EMS (which will be running a Toyota Supra TT converted to PHR Stage 2+). Seems to be lots of kits available and I _think_ it means the AEM can measure:

EGT
AFR (UEGO Sensor)
Coolant Temperature
Fuel & Oil Pressure
Inlet Air Temp
Fluid Pressure
Brake Pressure (nitrous oxide/brake kit)
... amongst a few others ...

Can you get oil and water temperatures?

The reason I would like to confirm, is that I'm thinking of getting a Racepak IQ3, which you can interface with the ECU using the AEM V-Net Module (Part Number: 230-VM-EFIAFM). apparently, with the V-Net module it can read from the ECU:

EFI Engine Rpm
EFI Engine Load
EFI TPS %
EFI Intake Temp Degrees F
EFI H2O Temp Degrees F
Custom 11 (ADCR 11) AEM ADCR Volts
Custom 13 (ADCR 13) AEM ADCR Volts
Custom 14 (ADCR 14) AEM ADCR Volts
EGT Cyl #1 Degrees F
EGT Cyl #2 Degrees F
EGT Cyl #3 Degrees F
EGT Cyl #4 Degrees F
EFI Voltage
EFI A/F 1 Air Fuel Ratio Lambda
EFI A/F 2 Air Fuel Ratio Lambda
EFI Speed Vehicle Speed MPH
Gear Indicator

See: http://www.racepak.com/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&sid=e99e5858f3ac01aa72eb6a15555f36f0&t=8#review

The reason I would like it to use the AEM sensors is that:

# It makes sense to me to make the readings available to both the ECU and the IQ3.
# It means there is no duplication of sensors.
# The IQ3 just needs one cable from the ECU linked to it (again, reduces wires).

My questions are:

# Does anybody by chance have experience of linking the two together (unlikely as the IQ3 is pretty new)? Or at least, any experience of using the extra sensor kits for the AEM EMS?
# Can anyone tell me what advantages there would be to having these sensors available to the ECU - more precise maps?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Ben.

·
Cartographer
2,887 Posts
Which sensors are you specifically wanting to add to your car? Any of the options you listed can be done, but there is not enough inputs to do all of them together. If I know the exact list of what you want I can help you better.

A lot of what you listed is already connected to the AEM EMS just to run the engine (using stock or upgrades stock replacement sensors). Such as:

Air Temp
Coolant Temp
RPM
MAP
Lambda
TPS
Gear

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha ha :) Sorry my response is a bit slower - the notification went to "junk".

Ideally as much info as the AEM can do, but mainly:

# Water Temp
# Oil Temp
# Air Temp
# Fuel Pressure
# Oil Pressure
# Mileage (odometer) (possible?)
# Speed (possible?)
# RPM
# Gear
# Boost
# EGT

I'm mainly interested in this in relation to the IQ3 from Racepak.

·
Cartographer
2,887 Posts
Ha ha :) Sorry my response is a bit slower - the notification went to "junk".

Ideally as much info as the AEM can do, but mainly:

# Water Temp - Standard Sensor
# Oil Temp - Additional sensor needed, comes across stream as voltage
# Air Temp - Standard Sensor
# Fuel Pressure - Additional sensor needed, comes across stream as voltage
# Oil Pressure - Additional sensor needed, comes across stream as voltage
# Mileage (odometer) (possible?) - Depends on IQ3
# Speed (possible?) - Standard Sensor
# RPM - Standard Sensor
# Gear - Standard AEM Generated (Display depends on IQ3)
# Boost - Standard Sensor
# EGT - Additional Sensor Needed

I'm mainly interested in this in relation to the IQ3 from Racepak.

See above in red. It can all be done, and a lot of it is using sensors already there/needed by the AEM to run the engine. I am not up to date on how the IQ3 can be configured to display the incoming spare sensors, as the AEM does not convert these to engineering units. If the IQ3 can do this internally, great! If not, there are other ways to do it (usually), with wiring. I would have to dig into it a bit more when it came time to actually set it up.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
John, mind if I help a bit :)

Webtechy,

I have some not so good iformation for you. The IQ3 from Racepack uses CANBus (Racepak calls it V-Net) as it input from the EMS or directly from the sensors. Unless AEM has integrated CANbus on their AEM EMS, there is no other way to communicate with it. The IQ3 does have a serial input, unforunatly it is used to setup the IQ3 from a pc (Using the Datalink software) and not for receiving continual data from an EMS.

What you need is a dashlogger that has a configurable serial input like an AiM Pista.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts