Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

quick question.... im getting my boys AEM EMS off his 94 TT for a good price. he had it in his car for a few weeks and the car has been down for a few yers now, so the EMS is a few years old.

my question is this, he told me he had boguht AEM when it first came out and that the softwear might be a older version... But he said that the softwear could be updtated quite sinmply. Is this true?? he said when its installed and ready to tune that an icon will prob pop up and ask to update soft wear?

anyway let me know casue im going to pick it up tomorrow

Geno~

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
You can download the latest version of the firmware from the AEM website ( www.aempower.com ) in the forum software section. It is a relatively simple process from there to flash the firmware into the ECU. If you are going to have it tuned by someone, they could also do that for you very easily. It isn't going to pop up any icons though...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can download the latest version of the firmware from the AEM website ( www.aempower.com ) in the forum software section. It is a relatively simple process from there to flash the firmware into the ECU. If you are going to have it tuned by someone, they could also do that for you very easily. It isn't going to pop up any icons though...
o ok thanks bro. ill tell the guy when he goes to tune it that it needs to be updated, i hear hes great with AEM so it should be nothing for him...

Geno~

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Btw who is the tuner?
I know of someone too. Read my signature (BD aka chevyeater-on-sf ;))

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Btw who is the tuner?
I know of someone too. Read my signature (BD aka chevyeater-on-sf ;))
i was going to have a freind of my freind do it, his name i think is Ray Pampena... from what i hear he is REALLY good with AEM. hes running it on his VR4 that makes close to 1000whp i think. hes close and told my freind dave he would do it for cheap so.

hows BD and where is it located since you guys are on LI too?

Geno~

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah Ray is good. But he doesn't work at Pampena anymore. Where does he tune?
PM "chevyeater-on-sf" for details he's in Medford.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah Ray is good. But he doesn't work at Pampena anymore. Where does he tune?
PM "chevyeater-on-sf" for details he's in Medford.
he doesnt work at pampena anymore? i thought that was his last name and he had his own shop?? i dont know him but my freind is pretty cool with him... ill find out where hes tuning tho.

Geno~

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
If it is REAL REAL old FIRMWARE, you could have a problem, or at least from what I was told by AEM. Apparantly the very very old units aren't upgradable with the new software. Someone please cine in if you can contribute to this...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
he doesnt work at pampena anymore? i thought that was his last name and he had his own shop?? i dont know him but my freind is pretty cool with him... ill find out where hes tuning tho.
Geno~
He did have his own shop but apparently now he's looking for a new place.
http://pampenamotorsports.com/

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it is REAL REAL old FIRMWARE, you could have a problem, or at least from what I was told by AEM. Apparantly the very very old units aren't upgradable with the new software. Someone please cine in if you can contribute to this...
ok i have to find out how old the firmwear is then b4 i buy the AEM from him then... But if anyone else knows if the older units cant be upgraded chime in please.

also does it have to be upgraded? or is it somthing thats just so easy to do minaswell do it?

thanks guys
Geno~

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
ok i have to find out how old the firmwear is then b4 i buy the AEM from him then... But if anyone else knows if the older units cant be upgraded chime in please.

also does it have to be upgraded? or is it somthing thats just so easy to do minaswell do it?

thanks guys
Geno~
When I say firmware I should have said hardware. I was told the very first units cannot be flashed to the new firmware revision.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I say firmware I should have said hardware. I was told the very first units cannot be flashed to the new firmware revision.
ahhh i got ya. ill find out tomorrow when i pick it up tomorrow...

Geno~

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts

Geno~
I spoke to Ray's brother Bill not to long ago (he comes by occasionally to tint windows). They have access to the dyno for tuning, it just isn't thiers anymore. They are cool guys and if they aren't busy right now, I'd say bring it by them since I'm backed up quite a bit over at my shop. Don't worry about not bieng able to update the AEM. I know your Supra already BTW, from before you owned it, lol.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't worry about not bieng able to update the AEM. I know your Supra already BTW, from before you owned it, lol.

-Brian
dont worry? and uhh oo hope thats a good thing about knowing my car lol

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
dont worry? and uhh oo hope thats a good thing about knowing my car lol
Don't worry as in it will not be a problem to update it and, yes it is a good thing about knowing your car already. :)

You should come by Dunkin Donuts one Friday or Saturday night (round midnight) and meet some of the local Supra guys.

-Brian

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. My unit is approx. 4 years old and I believe v .74 was an upgrade when I got mine, LOL. Running great on v 1.19 now :) Let us know if you have any issues upgrading.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't worry as in it will not be a problem to update it and, yes it is a good thing about knowing your car already. :)

You should come by Dunkin Donuts one Friday or Saturday night (round midnight) and meet some of the local Supra guys.

-Brian
hey brian, sounds good ill do that... also i had 2 red supras to pick from when i got mine, Jeff had a 94 with the rims i have on it now and a 93.5 which i ended up buying... Jeff took the tan interior and the GTP's off the 94 and out it in the 93.5, so you might be talking about the other one, either way im sure youve seen both lol... that other 94's rear twin was huffin baddd so im glad i didnt end up with that one...

O and let me know whe you guys are going up there so i can meet some supra owners finnally, other than my freind mark whos white ones been down for 4 years lol

Geno~

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
got my AEM yesterday... i have the S/N can i find out what version it is by that??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts