Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, hope you can help me out. Here's what happened. While installing my AEM wideband o2 kit and hooking it up to my AEM V2, the car started idling at 2000rpm after turning it on. We checked voltage on the TPS and it reads at 3 volts even when we're not stepping on the throttle. We checked if there was an i/c piping leak and there was none too. We also checked if the idle adjustment had moved and nope, it was still firmly in place.

We removed the harness then powered up the AEM V2 with a 12-volt supply and checked the pin-outs. The TPS pin-out shows 3 volts when it should read none right?

The intake air temp sensor also stopped registering on the AEM Tuner software as well, and the a/c has stopped working.

What do you guys think?

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
Not sure if this is going to help you much but I know that with the V1 AEM the a/c was always a problem and your tuner really has to know what they are doing to fix it. John Reed tuned my car and fixed the a/c problem for me. Your a/c problem probably is because of the same reason.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Can you tell us which calibration you're starting with and where you're getting power and ground for your wideband? Was the car working with the V2 before the wideband and acting up after?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys just to give you an update, we opened up my AEM EMS V2, found a small component (forgot if it was a resistor / transistor/capacitor lol) that was shorted-out / burnt. A local tech guy handy with ECU's replaced the burnt part and we reinstalled it in the car. We reloaded my last file, re-calibrated the TPS and did a full dyno-tune again to be sure and based all the readings on my new AEM wideband and I actually got a 25whp and 27 lbs-ft of torque gain. My car was running perfectly before the ECU problem and we didn't think we'd get any gains dyno tuning it again. Kurt I am using a 1v17 cal file which I got from Mikey / Pineapple Racing but my local tuner fixed the WOT sections of the fuel tables. A/c is also working fine now.

I remember an incident a few months back when we removed the battery and there was a lot of sparks and fizzing sounds, and 2x before I had alternator problems so that might have had an effect on the ECU?

We've been working a lot with the wiring as well, replacing all major power wires with Stinger Gauge 0 wires and that has improved throttle response immensely.

We're street tuning it in the next few days just to validate the dyno readings, particularly AFR under WOT at higher speeds. I'll keep you guys posted on this one. So far, I'm very happy actually with my AEM despite this incident. My car has never ran as reliably, as powerfully and as enjoyably until now. I did a lot of searching here and on the 'net in general and didn't find any hardware-related problems with the V2 ECU's from AEM. All the searches were V1-related stuff.

Also, I emailed Delsolid asking for some advice and he immediately referred me to a tech guy from AEM (Henry Schelley) who emailed me within 24 hours asking what was wrong etc and that they were willing to help me out. For a customer being very far away that was reassuring as most of the time, when something goes wrong here, we just bite the bullet and buy a new piece of equipment since it is difficult getting it sent there and repaired or serviced.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kurt sorry didn't get a picture as I was away when they were working on the ECU. Doesn't seem like its a common thing, this hardware-related failure on the V2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.