Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering how many thought out there gen 1 AEM and replaced it with the GEN 2? and y? Im asking this cause i have looked up information about both systems and there are only 2 or 3 different things. Is the Gen 2 worth it? Is the gen easier to tune? Also can u tune while driving down the highway with both systems?

Thanks, Z

· Registered
725 Posts
You can tune In real time with both systems. The Gen2 aem had some features that make setup and tuning easier. I went for the gen 2 because of the improved start USB to USB connectivity and the prices aren't far off.

· Registered
359 Posts
When I look at both systems, I look at the AEM Gen 1 EMS as being equivalent to the iPhone 3G, and the Gen 2 EMS as being equivalent to an iPhone 3Gs.

Are there differences between both systems? Yes. Are they enough for me to drop the original version to upgrade? Personally, not at this point.

If I were just getting into the EMS game, I would pick the Gen 2 unit over the Gen 1, but the difference between them don't appear to be enough for me to bother right now. Perhaps when the Gen 3 unit comes along? :)

· Registered
291 Posts
When I look at both systems, I look at the AEM Gen 1 EMS as being equivalent to the iPhone 3G, and the Gen 2 EMS as being equivalent to an iPhone 3Gs.

Are there differences between both systems? Yes. Are they enough for me to drop the original version to upgrade? Personally, not at this point.

If I were just getting into the EMS game, I would pick the Gen 2 unit over the Gen 1, but the difference between them don't appear to be enough for me to bother right now. Perhaps when the Gen 3 unit comes along? :)
  • If you have an A/T car the differences in the controllability of the factory trans are massive.
  • The 6 coil drive ignition is a great help for high HP engines
  • The P&H injectors give a nice boost in drivability
  • The new frequency based Knock hardware gives much more accurate readings.
  • The faster Gen2 comms speeds (including serial which is about 4X faster than Gen1) from the USB make upload/download/connecting almost instant.
  • The new larger internal logger (1MB vs 512K) gives 2X logging time.
  • The smaller enclosure does not have the interference problem with the car chassis and the serial connector.
  • Over the course of the next 12 months the Gen2 will see many new features added (in firmware) which are free add ons for existing owners where the Gen1 will remain static.
  • Over the next few months we will highlight some of the new features of the Gen2 that have not been publicly discussed yet (like 5 additional analog channels software selectable from LS8-LS12 or 5 additional switch inputs)

The differences are pretty big. If you are "done" with your car and the Gen1 box is in it and you are happy then you may not see a need to upgrade. But, if you are still building/expanding/growing your car the Gen2 is a pretty darn nice step up.

· SupraForums Sponsor
4,456 Posts
  • If you have an A/T car the differences in the controllability of the factory trans are massive.
  • The 6 coil drive ignition is a great help for high HP engines
  • The P&H injectors give a nice boost in drivability
  • The new frequency based Knock hardware gives much more accurate readings.
  • The faster Gen2 comms speeds (including serial which is about 4X faster than Gen1) from the USB make upload/download/connecting almost instant.
  • The new larger internal logger (1MB vs 512K) gives 2X logging time.
  • The smaller enclosure does not have the interference problem with the car chassis and the serial connector.
  • Over the course of the next 12 months the Gen2 will see many new features added (in firmware) which are free add ons for existing owners where the Gen1 will remain static.
  • Over the next few months we will highlight some of the new features of the Gen2 that have not been publicly discussed yet (like 5 additional analog channels software selectable from LS8-LS12 or 5 additional switch inputs)

The differences are pretty big. If you are "done" with your car and the Gen1 box is in it and you are happy then you may not see a need to upgrade. But, if you are still building/expanding/growing your car the Gen2 is a pretty darn nice step up.

I have a system that I am very happy with and the tune is great, so not sure I will change to the Gen 2, but if I do I want to know how difficult the conversion from Gen 1 to Gen 2 is? Is it as easy as just uploading the map from your Gen 1 to the Gen 2, start the car and go, or is there a lot more involved in changing over systems?

Thanks

· Registered
291 Posts
I have a system that I am very happy with and the tune is great, so not sure I will change to the Gen 2, but if I do I want to know how difficult the conversion from Gen 1 to Gen 2 is? Is it as easy as just uploading the map from your Gen 1 to the Gen 2, start the car and go, or is there a lot more involved in changing over systems?

Thanks
The Gen2 adds alot of features so even though there is a Gen1 to Gen2 conversion function built into the software, you will still need to configure the new functions. Also, since the injector hardware is different your fuel tune will change slightly due to the P&H injector drivers opening your injectors quicker.

· New York Sports
10,451 Posts

· Registered
1,693 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.